2

CHAPTER TITLE: RATAU

YOU EMERGED FROM THE GROUND WHERE YOU HAD DIED.

The Lamb stared at you in surprise, corpses of the Bishops' followers surrounding him. You cringed at the blood staining his wool, gently taking his hand in yours. The pair of you walked down the stone path, you keeping eyes above the ground- above the death.

At the end of the path were more of the Bishops' followers; though these ones were living. Before you could even react, the Lamb let go of your hand and began to cut them down with vigour and previously unseen skill. You stared in shock, especially when he bounced back to you to grasp your hand again- as if nothing had happened.

You cringe internally as blood from his palm squishes against yours, but externally you smile at him.

"Let's... get out of here," you strain slightly, beginning to walk to the only available path.

You come across a small campsite, where a brown rat emerges from the (rather crudely made) tent. He is one-eyed and dons a paper crown, and his peachy tail has been cut to be half the original length. Well, that's what you assume, based on the thickness of it.

"Fear not!" Speaks the rat. "I am Ratau. I was once chosen to be a vessel, much like you two, but those days have been lost to the winds of time."

"I was sent to guide you both." Coughs Ratau, leaning against the leafy stick used as a staff. "We are deep in the lands of the Old Fath and in grave danger. My instructions are to lead you to safety. Continue through the woods," He gestures to his right. "Escape lies ahead- I will be close by."

With that, he burrows into the ground, and we stare in surprise as he does.

You continue through the forest, the Lamb slaughtering every creature in the way. Strangely enough, whenever one of them drew close to you it stopped, eyelessly staring up at you.

You eventually came across what looked to be a sacrifice. The ones conducting it looked too distracted to notice you and the Lamb. Ratau appeared.

"We have nearly reached safety," He spoke quietly, "But look ahead- another poor soul about to be sacrificed." An almost awful grin appeared on his face. "Rescue them and they will have no choice But to join your new Cult."

"Oh mighty Bishops of the Old Faith!" Called one of the sacrifices. Head raised to the sky, they did not see you. "We ask you to accept the sacrifice of this wretched soul-"

"HEY!" Said another, who had noticed the three of you watching. "Who interrupts our ritual and trespasses on sacred ground?"

Ratau quickly burrowed away, as the Lamb engaged in combat. While distracted with two of them, he overlooked the third sneaking to you.

"You hereti-!" They started to cry, raising their jagged blade, before stopping. Eyes locked on your own, they began to stammer and murmur. The blade dropped to the ground with a soft thump, and they slowly- delicately- began to reach out to you.

Choking on their own blood as the Lamb pierced their chest with his blade, they fell to their knees whilst gripping the wound.

"Oh great Stag," You heard them murmur before death. "In my next life please grant me such beauty and purity as you."

The Lamb gently took your hand in his blood-soaked one, tugging you to the tied-up sacrifice.

He sliced away the ropes and the sacrifice cowered. "Spare me." She mumbled. "Spare me."

Before you could respond to her, the Lamb's eyes glowed a brilliant red; a summoning circle appeared beneath the sacrifice as she floated, before being dragged into the ground.

Taking your hand once more, the Lamb and yourself walked to a sone pentagram surrounded by candles; facing a black-teared statue of the crown he donned.

"We have reached safety. You have done well." Ratau complimented. He then spoke to the Lamb.

"The Red Crown will allow you to use the pentagram to transport yourself great distances. It will take you to a temple that has fallen to ruin. There you shall be able to begin your new Cult. I will meet you both there."

He eyed you. "Hold on to him, and you will be taken along."

The Lamb clutched your hand that bit tighter as Ratau dug away. Stepping onto the circle, you took hold of his other hand. Now facing one another, you watched as his eyes became that shade of bloody red- small tears of the same colour dripping down his cheeks as you sink beneath the ground. 

You could feel tears slip from your own eyes- gold?