10

∞Between the steps∞

Aradhaya Singh Rajvansh

He should sell his audacity for real, because that can batter him and bring him some real shame. He had been staring at me with his hypnotic eyes for an hour now. If his eyes weren't so beautiful, I would have scraped them out of his sockets. Today is the one-day gap between the functions. Shravan Bhai and Ridhima bhabhi went to visit the Kuldevi mandir with all the family members, leaving us behind to work on the choreography. Aridhaan Bhai accompanied them all as Shravan Bhai felt left out among all the oldies.

I have been a classical dance prodigy since I was 10 years old. Maa and Choti Maa used to teach classical dance to kids at the orphanage during summer vacations, and we used to accompany them. My interest was then excitedly taken forward by Dadi and Dadu, who appointed the best classical tutors to tutor me at home and help me excel in the dance form. I learned other forms too, but classical dance always remained my favorite. I dance to free myself from the monotonous grip of my life-sometimes to free the grief, sometimes to enjoy the happiness.

"Aru! I am not getting this step. Help me here!" I heard Aahana cribbing about the choreography, which was not something new. She doesn't like people outside the family, and that was very clear with her interaction with Abhir last night. Although it was the first time she ranted about him for an hour after that, his behavior really bothered her.

"Aradhaya, let me help her." Abhir surpassed me and pulled her. He was too quick in his actions, taking Aahana aback. He pulled her and gave her a nice twirl. I couldn't help but chuckle at their actions.

"You idiot!" Aahana gasped, settling her hair that Abhir had just ruffled before making her stand on her feet.

"Hey, I helped you learn that step. You should be grateful. And there are many other words you can call me: handsome, hot, charming, exquisite, and..." As he counted the words on his fingers, he scowled the next second because my dear best friend stomped her foot on his, causing him to curl in pain.

"What do you all feed her? Why is she always ready to kill me?" he whined, but Aahana tried to hold his collar, stretching her arm, and Abhir bent himself to make it easy for her.

"Why so much hard work, short stuff, when I can make it all easy for you? Give me a command?" He chuckled, and I saw my best friend's cheeks flushing into a tint of red, but she covered it up with her fury.

"Listen, you pillar-tall human! Stay away from me, or else I will kill you." I tried to suppress my laugh, looking at them acting like total kids.

"How?" Abhir arched a brow at her.

"By poisoning your juice, coffee, or maybe even water!" She gave him her options, and he just smirked, straightening himself and getting his collar from her hold.

"That means you are taking a sip of it before?" Aahana's face stretched into confusion at his comment.

"What?"

"Yeah, Vishkanya ka zeher toh aise hi felega na." I snickered hard at his comment but covered up really quick because Aahana's face grew red this time due to anger.

"You little shit! What did you call me?" She pointed her finger at him.

"Vishkanya. You know it justifies how you spread your venom here and there, but you know Vishkanyas are borderline hot." He spoke casually while Aahana looked at me with wide eyes.

"I am going to kill him today, Aru!" She tried to hit him, but he took the chance and ran from the place, while Aahana ran behind him.

"Just wait until I catch you!" she shouted at the top of her lungs, but he jumped across the garden, laughing at her words.