23. P for Petrovish

Monday, April 17th

20 minutes later, a black sport car arrives in front of the restaurant. I only believe it's for me when Aqua exits the passenger seat, spots me and waves frantically. I force myself to wave back.

"Be back within 3 days or I'll keep the watch, rascal!" Micheline yells at me as I leave. With a sigh, I nod at her.

Cars honk at the black car. I hurry in, entering the car and collapsing on the backseat. The car hums and its wheels spin into a steady speed. Focused on the relief of it all, I don't notice the driver glaring at me in the mirror until he speaks with an heavy accent I can't recognize.

"So that's the kid?"

I don't immediately associate myself with the said kid.

"He's only a year younger than you, P," Aqua retorts.

"P?" I feel the need to ask. He scowls at me harder. I shrivel into the expensive leather seats.

"Petrovish for you. But don't say my name. Don't talk to me," he orders and I fully intend on obeying.

"Be nice! He's my friend," Aqua scolds.

Petrovish glances her way for too long for comfort considering he's driving. "Yeah and he's dirtying my car."

"Whatever. What happened yesterday, Billy?"

I muster a palpable lie as quick as I can. "I saw Tavish fighting with his father. He found out I was spying and... made sure I wouldn't do so again." I straighten my mouth, feign an emotion I don't feel.

Aqua turns her head towards me. "Oh no."

I shrug as if I didn't care "It's not as bad as it could though. I don't even have visible bruises."

"I'll get him to apologize," she says and it sounds like she might actually.

"Don't. I shouldn't have listened in. It's on me."

"Damn right," Petrovish mutters and Aqua hits him.

I'm so glad to be safe that I don't even think to ask where we're heading.

---

"So... We're where exactly?" We enter a complex and hop in the elevator. I suppose they know where they're going.

Petrovish silently lowers at me as if I was the bane of his existence and I don't see why.

"Petro's apartment," Aqua says.

"Ah, but..." He hates me, I almost say.

"I don't think you want to go back to my home. Tavish is likely there."

Curiosity, as it likes to do, assails me and I have no choice but to fold under the pressure.

"Doesn't he have school?"

"Don't you?" Petrovish barks like a rabid dog.

"Not after a fight with Mr. McCloud. He's allowed to do what he wants for sometime afterwards."

The elevator dings in relinquishment once it reaches the fifth floor. Aqua strolls out, Petrovish lags close behind her, keeping a safe distance while still looking like a lost puppy. That's when I get it. He likes her. Petrovish likes Aqua. He fears I might hoard her attention. But I won't, she's all his to court, I have different... taste. Despite me, despite how much I loathe him, despite the asshole he is, my taste is her cousin.

"Tavish must have softened with time," Petrovish says as he unlocks the door and holds it for Aqua.

He then lets it swing in my face, almost locking me out. I force my way in and find Aqua tutting at him. Whether it's for his comment on Tavish or for closing the door in front of me, I'm not sure. He seems to interpret it as reprisals for his word because, of course, why wouldn't passive-aggressive dismissal of my presence be alright? Even I'm not sure.