24. Good Old New

Monday, April 17th

I chomp on the leftover omelet in my plate ferociously. "Not that I'm not enjoying," I pause, shoot Petrovish a look, "... this. But I still have classes. I already missed the first one, I'd like to attend the second."

Aqua raises her eyebrows, widens her eyes and stands up, wiping her mouth. I step out of her way as she reaches the wardrobe at the entrance.

"Of course! I'll drive you, unless..." Aqua glances back at Petrovish who just started doing the dishes.

"I do not want to come along. Don't even think about it," he spits in response, back still turned.

I shiver. This man is the most unsettling person I have met in a while. Aqua laughs, somehow.

"Well then, can I borrow your car?" she asks, keys already spinning on her index. He practically revolves around and legitimate fear veils his eyes.

"Hell no, Aqua. Last time, you—"

"Last time was last time. I've practiced with Seamus' Tesla." Petrovish's eyebrows knit and I fear he might drop to his knees to beg her to spare his car. It's a puzzling sight to say the least.

"He doesn't have a choice, he's your cousin." All I hear is pleads to this point. I clench my teeth and straighten my spine to keep myself from laughing.

"And what makes you think you have a choice?" she asks, eyes narrowed at him. He breaks, sighing in surrender. He doesn't say anything more and returns to work at the sink.

Aqua nods in contentment. She looks at me. I muster a small awkward smile.

"Come, Billy." I obey. We walk out the door. "See you, P," she yells before closing the door.

"Be careful on the road!" is the reply she earns herself. I'm baffled that he doesn't seem to mean that regarding his car, more so regarding Aqua's safety. Just how much does he like her without her being aware?

We get to the parking lot, Aqua settles at the driver's seat. I start circling around the car to reach the backseat but she calls my name, patting the passenger seat. I accept and pretend I'm not scared of Petrovish skinning me alive if he sees me there. The engine purrs to life.

"Will you be there in time?" she asks. I look at the time on the dashboard's screen. Then I look down at my clothes. It's not like I need to be mocked further. Second-guessing all this, I hesitate and she perceives it.

She shakes her head, curls flying everywhere. "I cannot let you enter school like that."

I shrug. It's not like I have anything better anyway. "Don't bother. As long as they let me in." I lean my head against the window. Cars blur by. Rain pours. Pedestrians flee. It seems everything is as gloomy as I am today.

"That's bullshit. We can use up some time, can't we?" she offers and I feel danger in the unfamiliarity she is suggesting.

"What?" I ask for good measure. She wields the wheel as if it wasn't attached to such an expensive vehicle. The tires screech against the wet pavement as she parks in front of a fancy clothing store.

"There's what."

---

"You can't be serious," I say as we remain there, seated in Petrovish's car anew. The window feeds cool damp air into the vehicle.

"I can. I am," Aqua replies with a complimentary quirk of her eyebrow.

I stare down at myself for the thousandth time. It doesn't seem like much from afar but when you get up close, you realize the long-sleeve shirt that I wear is branded, my pants are as well and my shoes are from a notoriously luxurious brand. This whole outfit cost Aqua more than my monthly salary and I cannot believe she refuses to let me pay her back.