32. Too Many Sandwiches

Monday, May 1st

A duck quacking. My head is warm. I'm comfortable. It smells heavenly. Something soft over my body. The quacking grows louder, louder, louder. I tune it out. A chatter awakens. Some whispers. The duck still quacks like a broken record. I stir, peek with an eye. It's light, the sun sits low to my left where Crash still sleeps. I detach my head from his shoulder. Seamus stands in the alley, holding a quacking phone. I wonder why he chose a duck as our alarm then realize I'll likely never know. I open a second eye, slowly adjust to the luminosity. There's a sweater draped over me and it smells like comfort and sex and Tavish. I jolt at the realization and shrug the sweater off me. It falls to the ground, I'm fairly satisfied with that. Seamus passes by me and the quaking is really really loud and Crash awakens. It doesn't take long for him to laugh. I agree it's pretty funny. Except Tavish put his sweater on me and he's an asshole. Eventually, the quaking subsides once everyone is awake.

"Morning, morning," Seamus chants.

Some guys groan in return. He gives them a stern scolding with his ice cold eyes. His authority is so volatile, I realize. The bus has halted at a red light. We're in a commercial neighbourhood, back to back malls and shops everywhere.

"How about breakfast?" There's a silence. People are still shaking off the mind fog that comes with waking up.

Seamus frowns. "What do we think?" he asks. This time everyone understands and answers with cheers.

"Hell yeah!" Crash hollers next to me.

I chuckle at him. Seamus points at a café and Anth enters its parking area.

"Sandwiches," Seamus says. I smile. I like sandwiches. Then he sets his gaze on me with a playful glint in to eyes. "And you're gonna get them." He points at me. My smile falls. Of course, there's a catch. Seamus laughs to my face, motioning to the door.

---

"Everything is better in good company," Crash says, walking next to me.

Cool wind makes me sway. I crisp up, rubbing my arms.

"30 sandwiches. Goddamn it, it's going to take forever. And it's so cold in the mornings," I whine.

All of a sudden, a warm piece of clothing is placed over my back and my shoulders. I jump and spin around. Tavish grins tiredly at me.

"Why else did you think I lent it to you?" he tells me nonchalantly like the bruises on my face were not from his fists.

I tug off the coat and throw it at him. Crash mumbles a sound of incomprehension.

"I'm fine," I say.

Tavish clenches his jaw but keeps quiet.

"Well, I wouldn't mind," Crash says, reaching out to borrow the coat but Tavish snatches it away and wears it himself.

I roll my eyes, pushing the doors to enter the café. The shop opened less than an hour ago, worst timing. The workers greet me. I return the greetings. Then, I stand in front of the counter and grant them a downwards smile to indicate the despair that's about the wrack them.

"Yeah, uh... I'm gonna need 30 pesto chicken sandwiches."

I nod slowly, watching shock bloom across every worker's face gradually. I retain an apology.

"And a blueberry iced latte," Tavish adds and he could just go fuck himself for all I care.

The cashier types something on the register and numbers add up like they were endless.

"So... that will be 275,40$. Cash or card?"

---

"30 minutes is damn good for 30 sandwiches," Crash says, impressed.