40. Titanic 2 [M]

Thursday, May 4th

Tavish and I end up in an airplane on a flight back to our hometown. Yesterday, we spent the day lazing in the hotel, in the pool (yes, I went in a pool, I don't believe it either), in the lounge, in our rooms, on the rooftop. By the time we're satisfied and we've gotten our fill of each other's company, the travel bus, along with the club members, is long gone. Because I'm supposed to be home for today, Tavish insisted on booking us a plane at his expenses. I agreed for economy class, he picked business and then blamed it on a bug. Anyway.

"Where does all this money even come from?" I ask, all comfortable in my seat.

"Father owns a prestigious hotel network," he says like it's obvious and shrugs.

His gray sweater scrunches at the shoulders. He's dressed casually and yet he's still so dashing. I wouldn't believe it if he wasn't right in front of me.

"Didn't know that," I mumble.

He seems really surprised there. "Really?"

I tilt my head in confusion. "Yeah? Was I supposed to know?"

"I mean, how else do you think the school can afford to send us in a 5-star hotel for a club trip?" he says and it makes so much sense suddenly.

"Damn."

He bursts out laughing. "Damn right."

"So... um, how did you grow up? Like, how was it?" I ask and he seems taken aback.

I fear I went too far. He must be able to read it in my face because he grabs my hand and kisses it.

"It was... a lot. My mother died when I was young. My father copes as well as he can. Money doesn't bring people back from the dead."

For a second, I feel guilty for not cherishing my parents. It must show on my face. Tavish interprets it as something else.

"I'm not complaining, it was great to have all I could ever want in my reach." He gives me a smile but it's only for courtesy.

"Doesn't it get dull? To never want anything?" I ask.

The corners of his mouth tuck. "It does. But I still want things." He strokes my hand softly.

"Such as?"

"You." My face burns and he's laughing. "And my father's acceptance. I've always craved it. But I like guys so." His eyes have darkened, sullen.

I kiss his cheek. "He'll come along. People aren't set in stone."

"Yeah," he mumbles.

"Yeah," I parrot. He looks at me. I look back. I break into giggles. He joins.

As we calm down and I regain my breath, I remember about the zoo.

"Did you want to come to the inauguration with me?" I ask out of the blue.

He frowns. "Wasn't that already determined?"

I raise an eyebrow. "No? It was?" Tavish makes a silly face.

"The way I see it, you're going to the senior prom with me," he says.

My insides bubble with thrill. "Is that really how you're asking me to prom?"

"Yeah?" he says like it's a question.

"We're going to prom together," I declare, looking somewhere in front of me.

"Thought it was granted," Tavish says nonchalantly.

I bark out a laugh at him. "You wouldn't have said that two months ago." His eyes are playful. He pulls me close to him by my waist.