Epilogue [M]

Thursday, June 1st

"Hi, Mom," Tavish says.

I watch the horizon where a lake stretches. A cold breeze ruffles my neat hair and makes the flower in my pocket sway. If I wasn't in a dress suit Tavish lent me, I would probably be freezing.

"I wanted you to meet Billy. Last time, I told you about how Dad tries to change and about the boy I'm in love with. Well, that's him." Tavish turns his head towards me, holding his hand out.

I grab it and step forward. A clean tombstone comes in my view. Aedh McCloud, I read on it. She died ten years ago, it says. Tavish clings to a bouquet of her favourite flowers, peonies. We chose it together before he drove us here. I let my gaze linger on Tavish's nice hands. He's wearing rings today and a bunch at that. It's gorgeous. Anyway. I stare at the tomb. Tavish slides his hand around my waist.

"Go on, say hi. Don't be shy," he says sweetly and laughs.

"Hi, Miss." I give a meek smile, unsure of what to do.

"Tell her about the inauguration. God, she would have loved you," he mumbles, drops the bouquet and circles me to rest against my back.

"Well... I worked at the city zoo for a while and we planned the opening of a new section. I had to deliver a speech at official inauguration. My boss only notified me a day before so it was very stressful but Tav, your... son, helped me out. It all went great thanks to him. Yeah, that's pretty much that. It was great," I say, looking back at Tavish to know if he approves. He's smiling so that's probably a good sign.

"Tell her my favourite part of it all."

"Oh." I laugh. "Alright. I mentioned him at the end of the speech so he was brought on stage and we kissed there, in front of everyone. And now Tav is impossibly happy because 'everyone knows I'm his'."

"Isn't he great?" Tavish asks, giving my bum a light spank. I yelp.

"In front of your mother!" I screech at him.

He laughs, already leaving for prom.

---

"You're quite the dancer, aren't you?" Tavish asks as he maneuvers his way out of the prom venue's parking.

I loosen my tie, crack the window open to get some fresh air.

"Whatever. That's what's prom for, isn't it?" I narrow my eyes at him.

He laughs. "Just surprised that's all. Besides, you were hot on the dance floor."

To hide the blush on my cheeks, I turn my head away. "Only on the dance floor?" I ask to fuck with him.

He gives me a glance full of multiple feelings at once.

"You're always hot. Even now, I'd bend you over the dashboard if you said the word."

My eyebrows fly up in shock. "Don't think I'm flexible enough for that." Tavish regards me for a moment, licking his lips. He has finally exited the parking and entered the main street.

"You'd be surprised." He's such a flirt, it's unbelievable. So I have to equal his level.

"How far was that hotel again?"

He flares his nostrils, grip tight around the steering wheel. "3 minutes. 3 minutes too fucking many."

I laugh. He doesn't. We haven't had sex in a while so he's terribly pent up. To screw with him, I danced like my life depended on it at prom while he just sat and watched. The result is definitely satisfying. Once we reach the hotel, Tavish parks his car all askew over two parking places. I would be laughing if he didn't flick my seatbelt off and fling me on his shoulder.