Trapped Souls, In Misty Mirrors

"I can't get out... I think I'm dead"

~•~

The heavy mist obscures my vision. The fog curls around me in intricate twirling designs. The heaviness settles in my chest weighing me down. The haze seizes to exist slowly, and I gaze upon an immobile body sprawled on a bed. The figure bears a familiar face. Same full lips, same serene expression.

It's me... And my soul is outside my body.

Through tears burning my eyes I slip into caliginosity to escape the bitter truth that my humanity is frozen.

*

*

The walls push down. A grey void to me. Cracks littering everywhere, I trace them slowly, fear bubbling in my stomach that they will crush me. The walls keep approaching me, closing the distance, sucking the oxygen away. My breath hitches as I pull my knees together to decrease the space.

I slam my fists to the walls, in an attempt the cripple the vulnerable walls. But my hands result in nothing but blood oozing down my wrists and pain surging in my veins. Panic pricks and tingles in my chest. I let a scream rip out of my throat... But it echoes back into my ears vainly. As the walls inch in to pulverize me to mere ashes everything dissolves into a black glistening shimmer.

*

*

I attempt to move my limbs but they won't respond. Not even a finger moves at my command. Not being able to move is... Unspeakable. Insidious fears creep up in my mind, as the world is painted in black. Only faint noises are heard lingering in the air. The voices softly whisper.

Such low voices... Such eerie voices. They whistle and whisper at me to die... They keep me trapped in this stone body that I cannot manipulate.

Curse that night... Curse that night that killed my body but left my mind working... Left my mind swimming in pain and loneliness.

It's so lonely here, so alone in my heart. I can't speak... I can only cry internally for my soul to be freed. But the metal bars of my immobile body won't let me roam free. Why won't it let me?

Please let me... I can't take it anymore.

I can't take the echoes anymore, slithering in my ears, curling up my bones. I can't take the uselessness seizing my heart in pangs.

I can't-

Days? Weeks? Months? I truly do not know in my prison of flesh. I have lost any indicator of time... I count the unforgiving seconds praying for the maddening whispers to stop. To relieve me from this monster of a prison.

Let me out... I want to yell.

Let me out... I want to feel the voice tickle my throat softly.

The only means of escape is my nightmares. I feel alive in them... I feel the fear brewing in me indicating that I am alive. So I let my mind fall into another nightmare.

*

*

The humid air blocks my breathing. The mist curls around me... Dancing in thick swirls...The pale, faint illumination of the moon shines through the mist, casting dark shadows hugging the giant trees. The heaviness of the air settles in my mouth... A greenish, salty taste creeps up my tongue twisting my insides.The leaves rustle above me, whispering... Echoing for me to leave. The blur before me expands, drowned in a shadow. Everything hides behind the heavy curtains of twisting fog. The trees loom before me... Huge like deadly Giants, their bark absents of color. The most vibrant black I have ever laid eyes on. The green vines droop from the haunting branches... The vines seem like slithering snakes creeping up on me like insidious reptile, ready to spout venom towards my face.

So vulnerable... Prone to death, strolling through the forest late at midnight, my only bright company the ivory moonlight casting it's fluorescence.

I shuffle my tired feet cautiously, crunching on the leaves below, my body startled with each leaf I destroy. My eyes drift to the huge figures of the looming trees, their deadly hands curling towards me, twisting like hands ready to snatch me and devour me alive. My heart slows down thumping slowly in its cage. Fear starts brewing in my veins... Pulsing in my mind.

And the silence... Oh the silence was maddening. Only the faint buzzing of the insects whistle in my ears towing with my sanity. The tiny little bugs fly in the air slashing the illumination of the moon, morphing even more shadows that rattle my bones in the terror that creeps up my throat.... And the tension. Tension as if two eyes follow me around. Tension piles in my chest. Like I'm followed... All around me, wherever I set my gaze I see two eyes staring at me. Red eyes, sparkling with vicious hunger... Ready to pounce. My heart seizes in mortifying terror.

Nonchalantly walking I find myself at the end of the rocky pathway. A cliff awaiting below. Raising my gaze the ball of silver dominates the sky, and lowering my head a swirl of caliginosity lies below. The authoritative moon offering no light in the darkness below.

I look behind me... The misty, obscure forest beckoning with a haunting feel ready to kill me.

*

*

Back again to my flesh...back again to the voices. I beg them to stop. To allow me to open my eyes and stare at the illuminating shimmers of the sun... But no... They don't allow it.

And I don't know what I did to deserve this torture. I don't know what I did to be trapped in my rattling bones.

What did I do?

I will never escape this trap.Never escape the coma...

~•~

*Competition entry done*
❌💀❌