21. Sexual Tension

Aryaman, Maitri and Aviraj had been spending most of their days at the hospital with Raj and Yukti, waiting for the doctors to clear Nitya so they could take the little girl home.

On one fine morning, Maitri had sneaked into Nitya's room and carried her in her arms and walked to the window which overlooked the city. Nitya was completely awake and looked at Maitri happily.

"Aww my bacha is soo happy" Maitri rubbed the backside of her finger on Nitya's cheek smiling. Nitya made babbling noises telling Maitri she understood her well.

"Aren't you the strongest kid I know?" Maitri laughed at Nitya's excitement of throwing her hands around in air. Nitya placed her palms on Maitri's cheek, feeling the softness of it.

"My cheeks aren't as soft as yours baba... Hayee nazar na lage mere bache ko, thu thu thu" Maitri said rubbing Nitya's cheeks and realized that she might cast an evil spell on her so immediately turned her face away from the small one and spat out the words that might be venomous.

"You believe in superstitions?" Maitri turned around at the new voice, holding Nitya close to her body, protecting her from any potential danger. She relaxed seeing it was Nidhi standing at the door with her stethoscope around her neck.

"My luck isn't very good so yes I do believe in superstitions. What about you?" Maitri asked walking to Nitya's bed to place her down so Nidhi can examine her.

"Not until recently. Heart needs something to believe in when another part of it breaks" Nidhi wore the stethoscope and placed one end of it on Nitya's chest, looking at her watch keenly.

"What was in the other part of the heart that broke?" Maitri asked curiously.

"Belief in love" Nidhi said with a small smile.

"Am sorry" Maitri quickly apologized feeling guilty of making Nidhi remember painful memories.

"Its fine. Despite being a math student, I believed in happily ever after love stories" Nidhi shook her head with a sad smile and picked the hanging board at the base of the bed.

"I didn't get it" Maitri said confused.

"Maths... It has the saddest love stories. Parallel lines will never meet, tangent lines only meet once before growing apart forever and asymptotes will move closer and closer but will never be together" Nidhi replied jotting down Nitya's heartrate and other necessary information.

"Is my wonderful being awaiting the Cool Uncle?" Aryaman entered the room with a few small soft toys happily, not aware of the ladies in the room.

"I'll check how far her discharge process is" Nidhi said excusing herself.

"Parallel line never intersect each other but they walk together till infinity. Tangent lines only meet once before growing apart forever so the same mistake isn't repeated. Asymptotes will move closer and closer but will never be together because no matter how hard you try because somethings are better when on their own" Maitri said with her back facing Nidhi as she picked a soft toy from Aryaman and attempted to play with Nitya.

"Excuses of heart" Nidhi said liking Maitri's way of thinking.

"Better being hurt than never being loved" Maitri turned around and winked at Nidhi who chuckled lightly and walked away. Aryaman tried asking Maitri about what they were talking about but Maitri waved it off saying it was girls talk.

Later that day Nitya was given a discharge, and everyone went home.

"Maitri" Aryaman stopped her when she was leaving his car.