SIXTEEN

"I can't do it, Giana

"I can't do it, Giana." I cry, setting my bags at my feet. "I love him. Every piece of myself feels so entwined with him, I just can't."

Sitting on the staircase, I let my face fall in my hands. Why did I have to be this way? He hasn't come home for days all because I couldn't make up my mind.

But this time, I was confident in my decision. Every fiber of my being needed him craved him. Giana gently lifts my head, "He loves you, Lina. He will do anything to protect you."

Her words make my heart swell. "Call him, please. I want to talk to him." Giana quickly pulls out her phone and dials his number.

"Weird. His phone went to voicemail, it never does that." A pit forms deep in my stomach, something didn't feel right. "Let me try again." I hear vaguely. My head thrums with a headache as I think about him.

"He's not answering. Let me run the security tapes back." Giana says while stalking off further into the house.

Security tapes? Since when did they have those? I pace around the living room, anxiously chewing on my nail.

When Giana finally comes back into the room, her usual tan face is pale. "What's going on?" I ask panic already flooding my voice.

"He left with Alessandro." She mumbles out. My eyes filled with tears, he left because I told him I was done. "This is all my fault." I cry out, slumping to the floor.

"It is not your fault. Elio thought he killed Alessandro, it doesn't make sense for him to leave. He had to be threatening him." Giana deducts.

Her words make me cry harder, what if he kills him? "Lina, I love you but I need you to stand the fuck up and put your big girl panties on." I glance up at her with a sniffle.

She was right. If Elio was in danger, he would need me to be strong. "Alessandro has a compound here in Italy. I'm not sure if they are still here but it's worth a try."

Giana pulls out her phone, dialing out numbers. I listen to her bark orders in Italian, in awe of her strength. I stand up and dust my skirt off.

After she was done, she glances down at my attire. "We need to change into gear. All black so we blend in with the night. The twins are on their way home."

She says, her voice almost cracking. She leads me upstairs and into her room, disappearing into the huge walk-in closet.

When she walks out, she has a pile of black clothes on her arm. "What's your plan, Giana?" I ask, feeling unsure.

"Elio has a group of men here that he never discussed with Alessandro. He always felt that things might go south with him and wanted to be prepared."

I nod my head, thinking back to the group of men I had seen before. Elio is so smart. It was something I admired about him, he was very tactical and didn't like the element of surprise.