Versions of "The Mourning Mail"

You may have noticed there are three versions of "The Mourning Mail" posted on this website (Versions 6, 7, and 8).

Version 8 is the latest, and the one closest to being traditionally published (hopefully, this will be the one that a literary agent will accept). It contains all the changes made by the author in response to the Kevin Anderson and Associates (KAA) agency's most recent Critical Review and Analysis (or "CRA" - the document that editors produce to suggest changes needed to get the book published by a Big 5 publisher).

Version 7 contains the changes written as the first response to the CRA. When I'd not yet received back the CRA for the second book in the Debra Ann Wynn series ("The Hodin Cabal: Choices"), I decided to spend the waiting time incorporating additional edits I wanted to make to this book. Those changes were based on comments made by readers, rather than editors, and resulted in Version 8.

Version 8 adds chapters to Version 7 and the chapter numbering has changed, but the other differences between version 7 and 8 are more subtle and cosmetic than those between versions 6 and 7.

Version 6 is the version of the book as it was prior to the latest CRA. There are radical changes between Versions 7 and 6.

I've left all three versions online so that readers who were in the middle of a version can finish it without interruption. I depend upon readers to tell me the changes they do, and do not, like. Your comments and opinions matter – significant changes I incorporate into the book based on reader comments will be attributed to the person who suggested them.

I'd be especially grateful to know if, in your opinion, a later version is better, or worse, than a previous version. Readers are awesome – they are why writers do what we do! – and readers know best.

Subscribers will receive print copies of any of my books that are published by mainstream print publishers (in other words, the final version of a given book). Once a publisher has accepted a version, I will remove all prior versions from this website.

Thank you for investing your time in reading my work,

Scott