Chapter 14

Dean
After all of that family shit was over with, Dorion spoke with Glorion about what he'd said about Doc.
I don't believe it was very pretty, either.
Dorion slept in his old room tonight and I sat on my bed, thinking.
Ian left after dinner, just straight up left without another word.
Sometimes, I just don't understand how he could've came out so... like this.
I sat on the side of my bed, my shirt off, ready to sleep for the night and wake up on Sunday.
Nothing interesting really happened lately, just same old same old.
Aside from how I was gradually getting more and more done with all of Glorion's abusive shit.
It was getting harder and harder to go on, honestly, and I thought often about both Rhys and Gage.
It stung to think about both of them, but I dreamt about them and felt like I couldn't stop.
Sometimes I just wished I would've ended things much, much earlier.
But part of me is too scared.

Silvers boys shouldn't get scared, though.

I shifted into a comfortable sleeping position and laid back onto my pillow, pulling the blankets up to my chest and closing my eyes.
I thought about Rhys and our kiss in the fields by the cliff after I'd saved his life.
I thought about Gage and the first time we'd met back in middle school when he'd only ever worn gray hoodies and sweatpants.
I wanted nothing more than to end it all there, but I thought I could maybe get over it, so I held on a little longer.
By a thread.

Rhys
As I sat peacefully at the coffee shop table at the far left wall, a book spread out on the table in front of me and a pumpkin spice latte beside that on the right side, a woman with wavy black hair sat down across from me and folded her arms in front of her on the table.
She seemed highly uncomfortable too, taking a small sip of my latte and looking up from my book.
"Everything alright?" I asked casually, studying her pale white face.
She wore a top with a low neck cut and dark jeans that had holes in them and chains hanging from the belt loops on the right side.
She wore thick layers of eyeliner and mascara and had jet black nails.
She had her hair over one of her eyes and a black raven tattoo on her exposed left shoulder.
She looked genuinely attractive, but at the same time, extremely unapproachable.
"Hey- uh-" she looked left, and then right, and then back at my eyes, "I don't know any other way to say this, so I'm gonna be straight forward with you. I'm being followed and I need help." Her voice was generally deep for a woman and there was a small southern accent mixed in there, too.
"Who?" I asked seriously, my voice low.
She looked briefly toward the doorway of the coffee shop.
A man stood there with thick brown hair and green eyes.
He wore a muscle shirt and tight blue jeans.
He stood, scanning the coffee shop, and I looked away before he noticed me looking at him.
"I just need to blend in right now. Act like you know me. He won't do anything if one of my friends is around. That friend being, well, you." She whispered, focusing on me and only me, her sky blue gaze hard and concentrated.
"I can do that. What's your name?" I muttered, not risking any more glances at the man standing in the doorway many feet away from our table.
"Zara," she paused for a moment, "Zara Jamee Maeve."
I stared at her for a moment before nodding once and focusing more on the task at hand.
"Can I buy you a drink?" I asked, my tone casual and simple, resting my elbow on the table unprofessionally as I noticed the man begin to watch us.
"Nah, I'm not really in a coffee mood right now, to be completely honest with you."
She gave me a look that warned please stay here.
"Oh alright, that's okay."
I am terrible at improvising.
After a heartbeat of silence, she scanned the open pages of my book and asked, "What're you reading?"
I held her gaze as I shut the book closed.
She scanned the dark red and gold cover and then my face, an expectant expression taking residence in her sharp features.
"Oh, it's the third book of the Inheritance Games series. It's really good, I'd most definitely recommend it." I tried my best to keep a smile on my face, though I didn't smile very often, so it was a little hard.
"That sounds super awesome. I read about halfway through the first one and got so distracted that I started up on a new book series. Can you believe I would just back out on a great series like that? It sounded so promising!" She replied, sounding more convincing than I could ever sound.
She must've done this before.
"Oh yeah, can't believe that at all!" I laughed, picking up the coffee beside the book and taking a long sip of it.
I silently side-eyed the man in the doorway as he gradually moved closer and closer to our table, wracking up my nerves a little.
"Zara, who is this?" He asked as he successfully reached our table.
She shot me a discreet pleading look and I got the message quickly, casually shifting my gaze onto him.
"Rhys Dawn, a pleasure to meet you, Mr..." I held out my hand and he took it, giving it a little shake, holding my ocean blue gaze.
"David Cole, nice to meet you."
When he let go, there was a silence for a fraction of a second before he filled it with another question.
"So, how did you meet my Zara Jamee?" He asked, placing a hand on the girl's shoulder that had both me and her tensing.
"We met in the library a few weeks ago, both big readers." I laughed, forcing a friendly smile and shooting a quick glance at Zara.
"Interesting. Well, I'll take my Zara Jamee and leave you now, don't want to bother you too much. You seem like a busy man, Mr. Dawn," he said, tightening his grip on her small shoulder.
"Oh, I was hoping she could stay a little while longer," I paused, "if that's alright with you, of course."
Zara shot me a discreet warning glance.
He studied my gaze with a sharp, threatening glare for a moment before looking down at Zara and patting her on the head before letting his hand fall back down to his side.
"Very well, be back soon though. I can't bare to be without you for very long, my lovely Zara Jamee," he said, walking slowly out of the shop, narrowing his eyes at me skeptically all the up until he left.