Chapter 25 - A Welcoming Society

Mocha shivered under her whisper, his soft fluffy ears perked up at the threat. Felicia let him go from her embrace as he stepped back.

Felicia meant it well, she did not care for the inhabitants anyway. Whether they lived or died was of no concern to her. Felicia looked into his eyes and sensed hope within the glistened hazel-coloured ones. She knew her words had bribed him in trust.

"You'll let them die...I-If they treated me b-badly?-" Mocha stuttered on his words.

"Certainly, it never mattered to us regardless. Right?" Felicia cooed, eyes fixated on the teary ones. Mocha hesitated, while his eyes darting back and forth uncertainly.

"I'm not bad, but I'm not good either." She declared, wiping his tears away. She attempted every possible word to say in order to evaporate the fear of his past. Her voice was clear and loud only for them to hear, hoping that Sarah did not listen.

Mocha suggested feeling a mix of pity and fear, as he didn't want an entire town to be left slaughtered because of his identity, his appearance. Mocha was about to object, yet Sarah invaded them both. Interrupting just to ask in concern.

"Felicia? Are things alright?" Sarah said, ambled closer to the pair.

"Yeah, He is just... shaken up. About the serpents you know." Felicia lied briefly, she did not want Sarah to find out about his trauma. Now was not the moment to open old wounds or dredge up past anguish while comforting someone who was grieving. She wanted to save it for later on if needed, sure Sarah would ask about it later and she eventually needed to open up.

"Let's proceed."

In a short while, they had reached the heart of the town. They all stood on the unpaved, dusty roads. Felicia's eyes roamed around, processing the town's surroundings. The clattering sound of horses' hooves echoed through the air as wagons and carriages made their way around. The wooden buildings with porches and balconies of homes, bars, and general stores saturated the landscape. The lovely residents always had a smile and laugh on their faces while chatting with each other. The heat shimmered to brighten up the loving society and the warm wind blew on the friendly western town.

"The mayor should be around, I guess..." Sarah muttered, turning around abruptly to scan the crowded area for the minister. Felicia joined her in search for the mayor, darting her golden eyes around.

Then, Felicia heard a yelping sound below him, her head shot down to the owner of the sound.

"Sorry sir, am I holdin' you too hard?" Said a girl, her small hand had grabbed the tip of Mocha's tail. The werecat was looking anxiously at the girl, his fear had risen and his body was slightly trembling. He desperately tried to wrench the tail from the little girl's clutches but hesitated as he feared he might accidentally hurt her.

Felicia's eyebrows furrowed and her eyes narrowed, as she felt the irritation build up within her. She could feel the heat of anger rising in her chest, as the resentment and annoyance simmered and boiled away inside her.

"Don't do that! Ya making the mister uncomfortable!" Said a woman beside her, who seemed to be the girl's mother. She picked the brunette lassie into her arms, they wore matching cowboy hats and boots. The mother wore a red dress and her daughter wore a white shirt with jeans. Their hair and eye color were identical, a striking combination of brunette and green.

Felicia's anger had been exterminated. She looked into the mother and daughter, an unknown feeling erupted inside her. There was a deep, longing, yearning, desperation that filled her yet she had no idea what it was.

"Sorry, ma'am. My daughter is too curious. She didn't mean to hold ya man like that." The woman politely apologized, her face was genuine and thoughtful.