8. James

Cause you were never mine...

*Last May*

"Betty, please," I begged.

Her cold blue eyes stared daggers into mine. The soul I once found beautiful didn't care for me anymore.

"It's not going to happen, James. We're done." She turned and walked further down our school hallway. I ran to catch up with her swift footsteps. I knew she hated me, but I needed to give it another shot. I grabbed her soft hand in mine and spun her to face me. I must've looked pathetic, but getting her back was all that mattered.

"Betty, we can make this work," I whispered, tears filling my eyes.

"James," she began. "We can't." I longed to pull her closer to me, to tell her everything would be okay, but she had made her choice.

"This is your fault," she told me.

"Me?" I recoiled in surprise. "What are you talking about?"

She flipped her long black hair over her shoulder. "You know exactly what I'm talking about, James."

Maybe this is my fault, I thought.

"Betty, I'm sorry," I whispered. "I'll make myself into someone you can love."

I saw her eyes soften for only a second and she wrapped her hands around my neck, drawing me to her and kissing me softly on the lips. I leaned into her touch, breathing in her perfume. I'd do anything to have her in my arms, even if it was only for a minute. Betty pulled away and I looked at her hopefully.

"It's not there, James. You're not her."

*Present Day*

My face burned as I clutched my phone and headed down the hallway to the bathroom. I couldn't believe she had texted me. I glanced at my phone to see "Betty" written across the screen. I wasn't imagining it. My stomach flipped in my chest, and I quickly walked into the bathroom and shut the door behind me.

Sitting on the smooth, sand-coloured countertop, I found the courage to open the message. I clicked on it and my phone opened to a new text chain with her.

Hi.

That's it? I thought. I was about to click my phone off when another text came through.

You're probably wondering why

I've texted you. I don't know, I

guess with everything that's

happened with us, I just

wanted someone to talk to.

Anyways, I hope you've been

doing well. I haven't. Things

didn't work out with, well,

you know. If you want to chat,

let me know.

I miss you, James.

-Betty (in case you deleted my number) <3

I froze.

Fuck me.

I picked up my phone, ready to throw it against the wall. I'd spent the last three months doing everything to get this girl out of my head, to accept that she'd never care about me.

But here she was, trying to insert herself back into my life after breaking my heart. I put my phone down beside me and let my head rest on my knees. A few tears slipped down my cheeks as I remembered the way she treated me. Lying, ignoring me, then coming back. I was grateful for any attention I received.