PROLOUGE 1: LEON

*LEON

*LEON. The Morning before Star Day*

       There are very few things in life that can make someone jump. Dogs barking, the sound of thunder, even scraping on a blackboard. But nothing makes me jump more like the voice of one man, a man that is supposed to bring me peace.

       Always at the same time, 10 AM, I look over at the black alarm clock on my dresser. My room wasn't exactly the best. Very little thought went into its design. The sprayed gray wood panels lined along the floor, the coolness constantly radiated off it. The floor I would sit on when my bed became too much, when I felt suffocated by the weight not just of my blanket, but life. The walls, as if to copy the monochromatic feel, was a lighter shade of gray, attempting to bring some color back in the room. But all it reminded me of was the nights where I felt like punching straight through them was my only relief. The black dresser, black duvet, the black table, black laptop, black fireplace I never used. All of it wasn't me. This room wasn't me. Yet I had to be here, I lived here because my options in life were short. I conform to this identity or get left out in the desert.

       My mind is snapped back to reality as I hear his voice on the intercom near the, surprise surprise, black steel door with intricate designs, one I would NOT have opted for had I been given an option. Always at the same time, 10 AM. Quickly I get out of the duvet that did not provide me in warmth at all, and rush over to the intercom, after I quickly turn up the thermostat so I wouldn't freeze to death.

       "I'll be down in a bit." I held the white button, hearing a "Understood" In response. The same conversation, always at the same time. Keeping up with this depressing tradition, I walked over to my bathroom, shivering instantly as the air was even cooler than my room. I stripped down, staring myself down in my mirror that yet again was adorned with an intricate design that simply was too much for me.

        I looked bad. The eyebags under my sharp brown eyes are clearly evident. I drag my hand across my chin, grimacing at the sharp feel of a stubble growing in. Then was my dark brown shaggy bedhead in desperate need for a cut, nearly touching my shoulder after months of cooping up in my room. My normally brown skin looks pale and cracked from lack of care, my relatively plump lips sharing just as much of a rough texture as everything else on me. Even my build was slipping as a result of lack of gym time, since I was..well..cooped up in my room. I would still always be proud of my body though, not trying to sit and admire myself though I simply brush past my abs and toned build to focus more on what I needed to fix. And there was a lot. Might as well get it all done now before I have to hear his voice crackle on the intercom again, I said to myself staring back at the shadow of a person I am now.

        The door to my room shuts, a familiar beeping noise as the auto lock feature keeps all out. Well, except for me..my dad..the maid..the butler..actually all of the staff.. Oh and Viva but I hadn't seen her in so long. My mind hasn't been clear in so long. My room hasn't been bright in so long. Practically every had access to what I would call 'my room' if it were true. The thought flood in my mind as I walked down the grand staircase into the meeting room. If you couldn't tell, my 'family' is rich. All because of one little title that changed my entire family for the worse, said title right in front my eyes. Mayor Brandt - Meeting Room, it said on the plaque in front of the room. I never even though mayor was such a big thing but, really. It is. All that responsibility, all the fame, all the money. It meant so much to the person my least favorite voice belonged to. And here I was about to face him at the same time as always, 10:45 AM. I pressed my keyring against the panel, a red light changing to green as the latch unlocks, opening the door to what I couldn't even imagine was a colder room. They really need to actually use the thermostat.

        "Good Morning Son, how did you sleep?" My father sat at the head of the round table, coffee and what looked like lemon loaf in hand. Newspapers were sprawled across the table, clearly someone had a long night. Speaking of which, his eye bags were just as present as mine. Paired with dark brown eyes, tanned skin, and brown hair, just like mine. But there was still the obvious differences like slight wrinkles in the corner of his eyes, significantly shorter hair, and the staple Chevron mustache and stubble creeping up from his skin. This was the man middle age women would fawn over? What a drag.

        "Morning, I slept fine, just a bit cold" I said, taking a seat opposite of him, immediately taking a newspaper up. Again with the boring conspiracy theories on magic and stuff. Tale as old as time. This town was obsessed with their history. Magic being one of them. I for one never believed it but politicians such as my father, elders and more importantly the Corporation of Elementals (C.O.E for short) were fanatics.

        "Well, I did install more thermostats around the mansion, have you been using them?" He chuckled at my concern he clearly didn't care about.

        "Yeah I saw it this morning. Thank you for putting one in my room." I spoke, but never made eye contact, my focus remaining on the newspaper that spoke about what my father, the mayor, was doing about Illios' concerns about magic.

         "Well let's get into business" he pulled out a notepad "We do have some things planned for today, nothing you have to be too concerned with. But I do need you for a meet and greet later at Lilah Square for the Rose Festival. You can take Brinette with you as your date, your cousin Laviva will also be attending. I already informed them and their parents. Think you can handle it?" He said feigning compassion. He didn't care for my answer. At least I didn't think he did. Did it matter though? My answer would always be the same. Dare I defy him.

        "Of course Sir." I closed the newspaper as the topic of magic spiraled into insanity. Who even comes up with this stuff.

        "Great, the event is at 10 pm. The limo will take you and your friends I would have already left. Remember to watch how you behave, we'll be in public" He says sternly, taking a sip of his coffee and returning to the newspaper.

        "You know I will" I say, earning a smile from him. His lack of response and focus on the papers in front of him is a sign of dismissing me. Message received. Quickly I got out, heading to the kitchen to at least make some breakfast before I returned to my room and mope about. I was going to need a lot of energy to endure this night.