CHAPTER FOUR: THE BRAWL

Classes remained the same for a while.Fall semester's closing left the majority of us exhausted and in physical pain from the back to back hit of exams. Our friend group specifically had hit a rough break as we all descended into madness. We hadn't had much time to spend with each other outside of the small study breaks and well, actual class. But yet, in the end we survive to see another semester. I particularly was pretty happy with my performance with an average of 75 across all exams, considering I literally had no clue where to begin with academics.

     As expected, our schedules were adjusted to match each other, leaving us in a very awkward forced group time. Even during lunch we were forced to sit at a table that was far off from the others, a black silk table cloth compared to the white painted steel the others sat at. At first Viva,Bri and I didn't know how we would manage to be next to Leo for so long, even having to share a table with him. Thankfully he took the hint and sat at the far end of the table with his headphones in.

     He was like this even in class. Most of the time he was paired with Viva but some of the classes we took, like P.E, I had to deal with the suffocating tension of being in his presence during that class all alone. At least in all other classes I had the girls still in close proximity, but P.E was not the same. The girls had dance instead which is peak gender stereotypes but they actually didn't mind. Poor me, left with this weight on me for an hour.

     "What ya thinking about?" Atleast Trent was here, he made things easier. Sort of. Over the past weeks our relationship thankfully had not pushed crazy boundaries. Aside from the heated make out sessions and feeling up on each other or quick kisses before class, I had casually denied any of Trent's advancements. I did feel bad for him, but then again I wasn't sure if he actually wanted anything more from me. Part of me wanted to believe an actual relationship with him was possible, the thought always slipping away when I watch how he acts around everyone else. How he gave that look of hunger to anyone that gave him even a little bit of attention.

     Speaking of attention, Trent didn't have mine. But a particular tanned male across the field did. He was busy doing stretches, likely to prepare for the coming onslaught that was P.E with Mr. Monz. Again he had this distant look, like his mind was anywhere but on the plane of reality, his headphones becoming a normal addition to his look. Thankfully he opted for a pair of wireless ones, the newest in fact. I always hated the way the wired ones made him look tacky. Not that I was looking at him much.

     "Still got your eyes on him." Trent's voice made me look over to him. An unfamiliar look of dullness took over his normally expressive face. His eyebrows were furrowed, lips straight as his jaw moved around. Like he was grinding his teeth. I don't think I've ever seen him look this cold and dark before. Actually. I did. When he was beating the shit out of Noah.

     And when he was touching me.

     My face burns, the pale skin turning a shade of red at the memory. I guess that sparked something in the male next to me.

     "He's bad news. Stop worrying about him, it won't do you any good." Again, his face bore the same cold expression. This time paired with a voice sharp and demanding. I suppose he mistook my flushed look for me thinking about Leo.

     "Something's wrong. He's not like that. I have to believe he's not like that."

     "Fine. Just don't come crying when he fucks with your head just like he did Bri. Maybe that'll take you down a few pegs." He ended his sentence with a snarl, his once warm arm around me now leaving me cold and alone. I had to fake not caring. I had to fake content when he walked away, anger radiating off of him. I didn't understand why he was acting like this. I knew he didn't like Leo because it was a collective trait to not like Leo. But the way he just spoke down on him, like he had a personal vendetta against him. If I was stupid, I'd associate it with jealousy. But Trent couldn't be jealous, I didn't mean anything to him. If I moved on from our little game he would just rebound right to anyone else.