Chapter 36 - The Calm Before The Storm

You awoke to a fresh summers day outside your window, Harveys arms enveloping your body. Turning slightly in the bed, you were met with the sight of Harvey's peaceful expression, bathed in the soft morning light. The room held the sweet scent of summer, carried in on a gentle breeze that swayed in through the open window. The soft hum of life outside comforted you. The rustling leaves and the odd tweets from the birds filled the air created a peaceful start to the new day.

You stretched and sat up, your eyes gazing out the window and at the plethora of crops before you. The farm was thriving, and you were making an incredible profit from your efforts, something of which you couldn't believe.

Leaving Harvey to sleep in a little longer, you made your way downstairs. Finding your short dungarees from the day before and a new light and cool T-shirt, you got changed. Milo wagged his tail excitedly as you placed his food bowl down on the floor for him, which he instantly started munching.

You swung open the farmhouse door and felt the summer breeze hit you. The warmth of the morning sun kissed your skin, and the gentle breeze carried the sweet fragrance of blooming flowers and the earthy scent of the countryside; it was so inviting.

You set to your daily work and began watering the crops. The majority of your crops were covered by the sprinklers now, but there were still the odd few that didn't reach. As the water from the watering can cascaded over the soil, Harvey appeared on the porch, still in his pyjamas.

"Hey, you're up!" You yelled across the field as you made your way back to the farmhouse.

"Good morning my love." He replied, planting a kiss on your forehead as soon as you were in reach.

"I thought I'd let you sleep in." You replied, brushing his morning hair out of his face slightly.

"Yes, well, I just checked the calendar and it says you have a thing on today with Leah, Emily and Haley?" He spoke, slightly puzzled. Your mind raced, you had no idea what he was referring to. As you stood there quietly trying to remember, you had a thought.

"What's the date?" You asked, a pale expression on your face.

"It's the 15th." Harvey replied, solidifying your fear.

"Oh my god, It's bridesmaid dress day!" You exclaimed, having completely forgotten. The revelation struck you like a lightning bolt, and you couldn't believe the oversight.

Harvey's expression shifted from confusion to understanding. "Bridesmaid dress day? That sounds important. Should I be worried?"

You rushed inside, frantically searching for your calendar. "It's the fitting for Leah's wedding! I promised I'd help her choose the bridesmaid dresses as I am one. I can't believe I forgot!" You scurried around for some cleaner and prettier clothes.  Harvey followed you, concern etched on his face. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

You smiled, appreciating his willingness to assist. "Thank you, Harv. I'll be late if I don't hurry. Could you feed the animals for me? I promise I'll make it up to you." You threw on a pale blue summer dress and headed for the door.

He nodded, planting a quick kiss on your cheek. "Don't worry about a thing. Just go and enjoy the day with your friends. I've got everything under control here."

With a grateful smile, you rushed off to join Leah, Emily, and Haley, leaving Harvey in charge of the farm for the day. As you sped towards the fitting, the whirlwind of excitement helped push aside the initial panic. You had to catch a train to a neighbouring town in order to get the dresses, and you couldn't miss it.

As you approached the station, you saw Leah, Emily and Haley waiting on the platform. You quickly rushed through the gate to find them.

"Hey! You made it! I was getting worried about you." Leah exclaimed, enveloping you in a brief but enthusiastic hug.