Sleep First, Plan Later (Rohit and MS)

Story - 2

Sleep first, Plan later (MSD and Rohit)

2022

Rohit Sharma is an enigma and MS can safely say that he has yet to meet someone remotely like him. The boy had always been a fire-cracker with the bat but floundered so often in the past, that once upon a time it had become rather difficult to retain him in the regular squad.

Until he found his groove; thereafter, he had been nearly invincible.

He made his ODI debut under the Captaincy of Rahul Dravid and MS was quietly proud of the fact that he was the captain at least when the kid made his T20 and Test Debut. A person of limited words, it had taken Rohit a long time to open up, even to players of his own age.

But what a transformation the kid had made. From the shy, introvert young lad of 20, he slowly but surely pulled himself up through the ranks and made the world sit up and take notice.

When handed over the reins of Mumbai Indians for the 2013 IPL, he again garnered attention when he led the Team to their first ever IPL win. Then there was 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2020. Total 5 wins. Rohit Sharma had taken the centre stage.

After the entire fiasco with Virat's captaincy, the reins were automatically handed over to him and while MS was dreading a fallout, nothing of that sort happened; his kids had truly grown up.

"Did you find him?" Sakshi's voice travelled through the room and MS looked up to find his wife peering down from the first floor.

He nodded. "He has slept," MS replied, taking care to keep his voice lowered.

"Slept where?" Sakshi's forehead crunched up in confusion and MS beckoned her down.

A couple of moments later and Sakshi was sharing her husband's fond yet exasperated look. "How can he sleep like that?"

"He can sleep just about anywhere."

The apparently missing man was crouched behind one of the armchairs placed in the living room and had fallen asleep, right there on the floor. After Sakshi left, still chuckling in merriment, MS reached out and gently shook the man's shoulder.

"Hey kiddo. Get up. Go and sleep in your room, Rohit. Get up now."

It took a good couple of minutes before Rohit finally woke up, stretched and trudged his way up to the armchair.

"Where is the fire?" He grumbled in annoyance and MS smothered a smile.

"If you are tired, then go and sleep in your room, Rohit. You will hurt your back if you keep falling asleep in such random places."

"What is it to you? Why can't you let me sleep in peace, Mahi Bhai?"

MS raised his eyebrows and pulled a sardonic smile. "Just because you are the captain now, does not mean I cannot smack you around. Want to reframe your words?"

Rohit narrowed his eyes and gave a one shouldered shrug. "Not particularly keen to. Why did you retire so soon, Bhaiya?"

MS held back a sigh and dropped down on the adjoining chair. Rohit's arrival at Ranchi had been unexpected and MS had patiently waited for the root of the matter to be exposed. Who knew that all it would take was an impromptu nap?

"It has been two years since my announcement, Rohit. What happened, kiddo?" MS gently cajoled.

Rohit shook his head, staring morosely at the carpet. "You shouldn't have," he muttered under his breath.

MS reached out and chucked Rohit under his chin. "What is going on in that head of yours? Did something happen?" A cold fist of sudden panic gripped at MS's chest, shortening his breathing.