𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚

I saw a man on the street one day. He stood there for a long time, leaning on a wall, shoulders hunched, hands buried in his pockets. He stared at the passers-by with apathy, as if he saw the world without emotions. Whenever someone walked too closely to him, a sneer would appear on his face, making them quickly speed away in fear.

Anyone else might have scoffed at his insolence, but all I could see was sadness in his eyes. And I couldn't get it out of my mind, so my eyes kept being drawn to him. I didn't know then that he carried the face of my own calamity.

When I first met him, he was lost; he struggled to hold his life among the ruins of his life. And wherever he stepped: earth watered with blood and tears. But that didn't stop me from falling in love with him. Hell, I thought I could be the one to fix him, but I guess no one can really save someone who doesn't want to be saved.

Now that man is gone, and I'm left only with the painful memory of him. I see him in the first raindrops of fall, and I feel him in the warmth of sunrise. Nothing's the same anymore. The cities are gone, the forests are gone. The sea and the mountains are asleep, and the noise of the living ceases.

"The world is so quiet without you," I whispered to the darkness.

And like every other time, the darkness never answered.