9. Augustine

Cancel plans just in case you'd call...

"I promise you, it's amazing!"

"Sounds gross, not a chance I'm trying that."

"Don't disrespect my food choices!"

James reached out and shoved me playfully. I stumbled along the sand, but found my footing and managed to not fall.

"James!" I squealed.

He laughed as I tried to shove him back. Catching himself quickly before falling, he sent me a smirk.

"Nice try," he grinned.

"Anyways," I began. "Pineapple on pizza is the superior choice. One can argue, but they would be false."

"I've never had it, yet it sounds disgusting," James responded.

I shook my head, not willing to reason with someone so stubborn. Besides our banter, the evening was quiet. The faint sound of waves lapping the shore played as a background noise, and the setting sun gave us some light to continue our walk. James bore a small smile and I found myself wishing I could take a photo of his thoughtful face with the ocean in the background. He caught me staring and blushed slightly.

I never expected myself to become so comfortable with James. He had asked me a few days ago if I wanted to go for a walk sometime, and I agreed, since I had nothing else to do. I thought things would be awkward, but James seemed happy to chat and walk along the beach.

"Whatcha thinking about?" he asked suddenly.

"Oh, nothing," I told him.

"No way it's nothing," he laughed. I was beginning to love his laugh. "Your brain probably has thousands of thoughts every minute. You could literally get lost in your thoughts."

"At least I have thoughts," I shot back playfully.

James turned to face me, mouth agape.

"Rude!" he responded in mock hurt. "You're going to pay for that!"

"How?" I smirked at him.

He stared at me for a few moments, letting his eyes trace along my face. I felt my stomach lurch, but I ignored it.

Suddenly, James lunged toward me and tried to grab my hoodie. Before he could catch me, I took off down the beach, laughing with him in pursuit. In less than ten seconds, he was far behind me, and I wasn't even sprinting. I slowed down so he'd at least have a chance.

When James reached me, he placed his hands on his knees, panting.

"How. Are. You. So. Fast?" he managed between his gasps for air.

"I'm not," I shrugged. "You're just slow."

James lunged for me again, but this time I was caught off guard. His arms wrapped around my waist and he kept his grip as I tried to wriggle away. I couldn't stop laughing as he pulled me closer. I jerked forward to run, and we both tumbled onto the red sand.

"Dammit, James!" I said, attempting to free myself from his grasp. I laid face-first on the sand, while James crashed onto me. He quickly rolled off me and looked over from beside me, now covered in sand. His cheeks were flaming red and he sent me a sheepish grin.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly.

I burst out laughing. Maybe because it was nighttime, and I got weird after 9:00. Maybe because James looked ridiculous laying on the sand. Maybe because I was having the most fun I'd had in ages. Something in him brought out my childish side. I watched as he flipped over so he was on his back and staring up at the sky, finding myself jealous of his side profile. His glasses framed his face perfectly, and his hazel eyes only complimented the freckles that were splashed across his cheeks. He looked back at me, eyes questioning.

"Are you ever going to tell me what's going on in that head of yours?" he smiled.

"Probably not."

"It's a shame," he grinned. "Maybe I'd share some of my thoughts with you."

"Enlighten me," I challenged.

"Nah," he shrugged. "I don't feel like it."

"I didn't care anyways," I responded. The look in his eyes turned to hurt so I smiled to let him know I was joking. I was propped up on my forearms while he continued to lay on his back. He stood up, brushing the sand off his grey hoodie and black pants. He offered his hand to me, and I took it, standing up facing him.

"You know," he began. "This reminds me of the day we met. Me helping you up like the gentleman I am. Come to think of it, you fall a lot."

I smacked his shoulder playfully. "You're the reason I keep falling!" I protested. "So your 'gentleman' acts? They only happen when you make me fall over." I crossed my arms in front of my chest and raised my right eyebrow at him.

"Agree to disagree," he smiled.

"Not a chance."

We stood there for a few seconds, neither of us willing to break eye contact.

"It's getting late," James said suddenly. "We should probably head back."

"We walked a long way," I realized. The sun was gone, leaving us beneath the darkening clouds.

"Let's get you home," he smiled.

We stayed quiet for most of the way home. James would occasionally comment something, but we chose to remain in a comfortable silence and let the sounds of the night fill the space around us. I let my hands drop to my sides as his did the same.

When we walked up the path to the cottage, we stepped closer together to both fit. As we reached the front door, I felt our knuckles brush and my stomach erupted in butterflies. Suddenly, all I wanted was to slip my hand into his. To fill his hand intertwined with my own.

But I couldn't. Not until I was sure how I felt. I had no idea if James even noticed. I turned towards him, placing my hands in my pockets.

"Thanks for the walk," I told him shyly.

"The pleasure was all mine, m'lady," James responded in a British accent.

"On that note, I'm going to bed," I smiled.

"See you later," he grinned. Stepping towards me, he leaned forward until his face was lightly brushing against my cheek.

"Let's do that again sometime," he whispered softly in my ear. Before I could react, he winked, turned, and walked away into the darkness.

***

I stayed awake for a long time, curled up under my covers. I was warm within the mass of blankets and my hoodie. My thoughts became a whirlwind of questions and I finally gave up on sleep, reaching over to flick my lamp's light switch.

A dim glow illuminated the room, highlighting the hundreds of writing pieces along my walls. I grabbed my journal resting on my bedside table, inspecting to make sure it wasn't tampered with. I didn't keep a lock on my journal. My parents and Aurora wouldn't bother to read it, but I always made sure to carefully place it a certain way. That way I could tell if someone touched it.

Letting my pen run across my paper, I jotted down moments from my walk with James. The banter, when he chased me, seeing him look up at the sky, the walk home. The way he whispered to me. Opening a blank page, I wrote only two lines:

Poems, August 5

Intertwine our hands and allow me to fall
I'd give away my heart on the hope you call