✿ TO BE MARRIED ✿

ALAIA

"Let me help you, please." I said to the Gardner who was sprinkling water over the plants.

He looked at me and then passed me the sprinkler. I smiled at him and started doing something that soothes my soul.

I used to be simple girl with simple dreams. I've always dreamt of marrying a nice man and living in a small house with a huge garden on the back where I'd take care of my flowers in the day and cook nice food for my husband. Maybe, being born in a small town to a average income household does this to us. I wasn't allowed to study too much, just complete my graduation and then get married.

When girls around me were busy in making their career, I was forced to learn how to be a perfect housewife. And I never realised when being a perfect wife became my only dream.

I smiled when saw a bunch of white lillie. I sat on the ground and touched them under the tip of my cold finger. They felt soft and refreshing. I love lilies.

"Why there are so many lilies? Do you love growing them?" I asked to the Gardner, after looking around in awe.

The old man, probably in his late sixties, released a sigh. "Zoya Ma'am loved them."

"Zoya?" I looked at him in confusion.

He shook his head. "Nothing. Please, let me do my work."

I blinked, realisation drowning upon me but I didn't say anything about it. I just turned around and saw a bunch of red roses. I plucked on of them and adjusted it in my hair. "When I was a kid, I used to secretly pluck roses from the park and hide them in my books." I said to him, smiling.

He gave me crinkled smile. "Tell me what flowers you like, I'll grow them."

"Jasmine and orchids." I replied in a heartbeat. And then my eyes fell on the lilies. "But I like them too. Please don't stop growing them." I pointed at the flowers.

He nodded, hesitating to say something but before that could happen, Agastya walked into the garden. I stilled at my place and quickly tried to look everywhere but him.

What if he thinks that I'm trying to intrude into his personal life?

"I-I just came here to....I didn't mean to..." I shuttered, not knowing exactly what to say.

"It's your house too. You don't need to explain everything." He replied and bend down to pluck a handful of white lilies and then walked away.

I followed him, hesitantly. "Wait." I called out for him when he was about to step out of the house.

He turned around and raised his brows.

"I-I..." Stop embarassing yourself, Alaia. I took a deep breath. "I need to buy some groceries. Can you take me to the shop?"

"Whatever you want to eat, you can tell it directly to the cook, he'll prepare it for you. Don't bother yourself." He said, glancing at his wrist watch.

I swallowed a thick lump down my throat. "I like cooking." Because I don't know anything else to do. I want to kill my time and keep my mind vacant. But obviously I can't say it all to him so, I said a single sentence hoping that he agrees.

He scratched his head and for a split second his eyes clearly told me that he doesn't want anything to do with me, let alone going grocery shopping with me but then he nodded anyways.

He gestured me to follow him. As we walked to his main gate, there was this black luxurious SUV waiting for him. The driver get out and handed him the key. I silently opened the backseat door and sat inside. For a moment I wondered if he's going to ask me to sit in the front next to him but he didn't bother to do so. Or maybe he wasn't comfortable with me sitting next to him.

I looked out of the window and it's been ages since I last went outside.

"Do you know how to drive a car?" His question caught me off guard.

"No. Why?"

"You could use any of my car to go out. If you want, I can arrange someone to make you learn driving."

"Am I bothering you? It's okay you can tell me if you feel uncomfortable around me, I'll try not to disturb you." I said, feeling guilty.

He didn't say anything nor did I.

We both know the reality of our marriage. It was just for public and honestly, I've no expectations from him. He's right at his place. He may have took sacred seven round around the fire with me but his heart is loyal to girlfriend; Zoya.

And all the dreams I've had about my marriage came to end the day I was betrayed by the only person I trusted.

This marriage with Agastya Singhania is not guarantee of my future rather it was to save me.

My thoughts came to halt once we reached the grocery store. He handed me his credit card, telling me silently that he's not coming with me.

I went to buy some mushroom, fresh parsley, cheese and couple of ingredients to make a bread. I collected everything as soon as I can not wishing to make him wait for too long. Once I reached the billing counter, something strikes in my mind. I quickly rushed back and bought some cheese cream, blueberries and whipped cream. A loopsided grin crossed my face and after completing billing for everything, I walked back to the car.

"Do you need anything else?" He asked.

"No." I handed him his card back.

"Stay inside, I'll be back." He said to me after while.

I nodded but my curiosity peeked when I found him taking the lilies with him. I really didn't want to interfere in his life but I just couldn't stop myself from secretly following him. But once I saw a cemetery, my heart sank deep in my chest. It couldn't be what I think, could it?

I hid behind the tree and my gaze fell on a grave stone which had a name imprinted on it.
Zoya Khan
1992-2016

I covered my mouth and took a step back when Agastya sat and placed the flowers gently on her grave. I rushed back to the car, my heart thumping against my rib cage. I don't know why but tears gathered in my eyelids.