✿ TO BE HIS ✿

ALAIA

Don't panic. Don't panic.

I took a deep breath and looked at myself all over again. The heavy red saree draping around me and bright gold jewelleries are making me dizzy. I've been dolled up for our wedding reception party by one of the best make-up artist and this designer saree, I don't even know the number of zeroes it had on it's price. Everything is so costly and sophisticated. It doesn't feel like me, not at all.

It's okay. I can go through this. There'd be Agastya's business partners, friends and not to mention my family. That's it. I can survive them just like I did on my wedding. Right?

A faint knock on the door made my anxiety worsen but somehow I managed to open the door.

"Shall we go?" Agastya asked, offering me his hand.

I forced a smile and casted a look at him. He was in a black suit, his hair styled neatly and I don't know but it was probably the first time when I saw him this intimately. His brown eyes didn't have any spark but they were beautiful nevertheless. For a split second, I wanted to look into them and know their story. His sharp chiseled jaw, a faded scar near his left brow, a mole under his lower lips, high cheekbones, smooth skin. He's mesmerizing. I don't know how to describe it but he could be a fine model if he ever wish to became one.

I licked my dry lips and gave him my hand. Interconnecting our fingers together; his cold and mine warm, we walked downstairs and suddenly all the cameras started flashing. My body grew tensed when I felt all the eyes on me. I never had this much public attention before. My fingers started shivering a little but his firm hold made me at ease to some extent.

"My daughter, you look beautiful." Mother came forward to hug me. I grit my teeth but smiled nevertheless.

My Mother, father and their son with his wife all of them greeted me with big smile across their face.

I despise them. All of them. For what they've done with me, I swear I'd die thousand deaths than to forgive any of them.

Agastya greeted them and then gave me personal space to meet them.

Once he was gone, my family looked at me with disgust in their eyes.

"You better behave, Alaia. I don't even know what that man saw in you to marry a dirt like you." My father said.

"Be a good wife. Don't say no to him for anything. Please him and make good food for him. Massage his feet every night. You're not equal to him, you're his wife and you should know your place. Understood?" Mother placed a hand on my shoulder and gave it a tight squeeze.

"And don't let him see your sex tape, now we don't want him to find that his wife is a whore, do we?" Sister- in- law leaned near my ear and whispered before offering me a tight smile.

A wave of nausea hit me and if I stayed any other second with them, I might puke right here. So, I quietly excused myself and my eyes unconsciously started wandering for Agastya. I stood at my place, not knowing what to do when a bunch of people came to me. I knitted my brows and waited for them to introduce themselves.

"Wow, you look so pretty, man. Indeed, Agastya hit a jackpot." A man said, offering me a polite smile.

When he didn't get any response from me, another man patted him on his head. "Atleast introduce yourself. Hey, congratulations on your marriage. I'm Kabir, Agastya's friend and this idiot who just complimented you is Chirag."

Oh. So, they're his friends. I smiled back at them.

A woman same as of their age came to hug me. "I'm so glad that finally our Agastya found someone to lean on. I'm Sarah by the way. We all are your husband's college friends."

Did he not tell his friend about the reality of our marriage? If they're his college friends then they must know about Zoya, right?

And as I remember her name again, my chest struck with a familiar pain. Please, let this night pass quickly.

Uninterested with anything, I decided to go out for a moment to get some fresh air when the party started and everyone got busy with food, alcohol and music. Once outside, I sat on the stairs and looked up at the bright moon. The cold breeze kissed my face and I wanted nothing but to have a good sleep.

This everything, it is so new and foreign to me. I've been grown up in a conservative household where all I've seen is toxicity. These high society parties, cameras flashing everywhere I go, classy people. Everything is foreign and uncomfortable.

"Ah, you might be the wife, huh?" A sarcastic voice snapped me back to reality.

I turned my head to the side to see a woman staring at me. She wore a short red dress that barely covered her thighs and had a cherry red lipstick. Her toned legs and brown hair made her standout. Wow, she's so beautiful.

"Nah, it couldn't be true. Agastya Singhania married a trashy poor girl from some shitty town. You aren't even pretty, dear. Why did he marry you?" He smacked her lips together in disappointment.

My lips parted in disbelief and self consciousness crept upto to my nerves. I tried to hold back my tears but when she rolled her eyes at me, something in me hurt. "I-I.. Excuse me." I mumbled and rushed back to inside.

My breath caught up in my throat as I panicked.

"Are you alright?" Agastya came to me once his eyes fell on me.

I shook my head. "No." I whispered. I want to be alone. Please let me go to my room. I don't want to be here with all these people. I don't belong here.

"Here. Pass me the water." He said to one of the waiter and offered me the glass full of water.

I looked at him and then at the glass. His assuring eyes made me take the glass from him and take couple of sips from it before I tried to compose myself.

Come on, don't panic. Don't emabrass yourself out here. You're wife of agastya Singhania in the public. Please try to act like one.

"I'm fine. Little headache, that's all." I lied to him, forcing a fake smile which obviously he noticed but he didn't ask anything more.

"Agastya, just met your wife. Isn't she lovely?" The same woman who humiliated me outside, came to us with a bright smile.

Heads turned to her and paparazzi started clicking her picture. A little run-down through my memory and I realised that she's some famous model who just debuted in Bollywood.

I wonder if I were her, will the world would've been less cruel upon me?

"Yes, indeed. She's lovely." Out of sudden, an arm was wrapped around my waist and I was pulled closer to my husband who smiled politely at her. "After all, she's mine." He added.

I know. I know this was just an act but then why my heart fluttered? Why it felt good to see that woman's smile vanishing in thin air and all the cameras flashing back on us. Why it felt satisfying to see my family gawking at us in disbelief? And most of all why it felt oddly nice when he called me his in front of everyone?