One

Plonk.

When the camera containing tens of thousands of my photos falls into the murky water of a Venetian canal, a few things happen simultaneously.

One, moments of life flash across my eyes, because the resulting pain of such an unfortunate event is surely comparable to a near death experience.

Two, like the idiot I've always been in my whole life, I push off the bridge railing and jump after the said damn camera.

Not before three, snapping my head back midair to give the perpetrator of the tragic event a death glare.

As my body slams into the cold and questionably smelly water surface, I spot said perpetrator, a giant explosion of black and tan fur, peeking through the bridge railing, quirking his viciously prominent brows at me, as if mocking my clumsy demise.

I roll my eyes in the water, immediately making them sting, my heavy body an instant reminder that I haven't swam in years.

Moments later, as I crawl up the bank of the canal, smelling like centuries of history aka sewage water, backpack dripping for miles, I see that taunting beast waiting for me. Next to him, I trace up a set of modelesquely long legs in flared cream leather pants, up onto a vintage floral shirt exquisitely draping over the tall torso, and up until my gaze is met with the sweetest, most disarmingly cheeky smile.

"I'm so very sorry, Yeontan likes to jump in front of people for attention." A small wave of his hand, and the light in his eyes swirls, mischievous, "But can you really blame him though. After all, he only goes after those he loves." He starts giggling, but there's no menace to it, only mirth, and I find my lips curling at the sight of it.

Taehyung...
Later, sitting on the patio of Caffe La Serra, over a huge plate of various cicchetti, I murmur the name quietly, feeling how it rolls off my tongue with ease.

The giant furball on Taehyung's lap yelps, and he sighs and pulls a piece off oil-glistened anchovy off the crostini as a peace offering, "Yeontan, you're very spoiled and so much trouble, but we still love you, yes we do."

I look down at the digital camera on the table, still damp and very much non-responsive, "I'm not blaming him for this. But I really needed this camera, not sure how I could afford to buy another one. And the memory card, "A very long sigh, "do I dry it? Take it to a shop? Will it still work somehow, miraculously?"

A fried polpette ball on a fork finds its way towards my lips, "try this, what a lovely bread crumb crust, you'll love it." The smell of fried fish and cheese is tempting, so I comply and open my mouth, fingers still lingering on the camera.

Taehyung's eyes crinkle as he watches me eat, satisfied, "do you really need a camera though? When you're surrounded by all this-" he waves his hands around, bringing attention to the surrounding.

Caffe La Serra is tucked away in a converted 19 century glasshouse, amidst the lush greenery of the biennale park. It's just far away enough from the nearby Giardini pier to avoid the commotion of in-and-out water taxis. The lazy afternoon sun streams through wrought iron framed glass ceiling, draping everything in prismatic light.

I have to agree, "This is a nice spot, very pretty, almost like a dream."

"Well, it is all held together by your sheer will, so yes, it can be surreal."

"That's a strange way of describing life, but I guess you're right. In a way, everything we perceive is on our mind, dream or reality."

Taehyung sips on his double espresso in the tiny ceramic cup, "Having said that, I think I should be responsible for Yeontan's blunder. So what would it be then? Champagne at Club del Doge, private yacht trip, or-" he leans in and winks, "maybe a tete-a-tete in a more intimate location?"

My ears start to burn but I try my hardest to keep a poker face, "Um no, that's- ahem, I mean, we barely know each other... Some companionship is enough, really. I'd like to see more parts of Venice, and if you have time, and Yeontan of course, ahem..." my words trail off feebly as I'm sure the blush has spread to my cheeks by now.

Taehyung observes me for a beat, thoughtful, before responding, "But of course, you've always had an affinity for Italy. I will be here whenever you need me."

There's a softness to his gaze, fond and mysterious, as if we're discussing a secret that would be uncovered if I probe just a little more. My heart hammers uncertainly, so I look down and stuff myself with fried sardines instead, like the idiot that I am, "Oh um this fish is very good."

A chuckle, Taehyung goes back to picking up a bite of everything and putting it on my plate, "No rush, we can try more dishes if you want, we have all the time in the world. Their zaeti cookies are also literally the best in the universe, with big golden raisins. I'm not sharing so we would need two orders."

I blink at him, taking in the laid back exuberance, and try to sound as smooth as anyone possibly can with a mouthful of deliciously greasy anchovies, "Deal."