✿⁠ TO BE A LIAR ✿

ALAIA

I rubbed my eyes at the sound of footsteps and blinked in confusion. Have I fallen asleep? I wondered.

“Why are you not asleep yet?”

I looked in the direction of voice to find Agastya staring at me in confusion. I raised my brows and shook my head. I quickly glanced at the clock only to realise that it's one in the midnight. My lips parted in suprise and I tried to compose myself. He's coming this late from the office? And I fell asleep on the chair waiting for him from so long?

My heart sunk low in my stomach realising that all the efforts I put in making dinner for him were in vain. He's definitely not going to have dinner this late besides the food must've turned cold and soggy. I bit on my inner cheeks and cursed myself for being this stupid. Offcourse, we're only bound in a marriage of convenience, it ain't like he promised to be my husband. Why in the world would he bother to come home on time?

“I-I...was hungry so I thought of cooking instant noodles but then I guess, I might've fallen asleep.” I lied.

He nodded, loosening his tie as he walked to the refrigerator to grab a water bottle.

“You had your dinner?” I asked, knowing very well that his answer is going to hurt me.

“Mhm.”

“Okay then. Good night.” I whispered, almost rushing to my room.

I closed the door and took a deep breath. Clenching my heart, I tried to wonder that what's wrong with me? Why I'm so bent on making things mundane between us? Why I'm feeling this stupid sadness? Why does it affects me this much?

For God's sake, we're not in a normal marriage. He doesn't have any commitments to me and nor do he expects anything from me in return? Didn't I know all this already then why do I feel like this?

He is love with Zoya. He will always love her. His heart is already lost for someone else. So what if she's no more? So what if he's married to me? It's been eight long years and he's still longing for her? That kind of love is not easy, that's enternal and painful and not in the fate of everyone.

The girl who wasn't even loved by her family, how can she dream of having something so unreachable? Something like having a normal married life?

I wiped my tears and forced myself to smile. It's okay, Alaia, it's okay.

I knitted my brows in confusion in when I heard a faint knock on my door. Unlocking it, I came face to face with Agastya. He stood there with a vacant emotion on his face. I drifted my eyes to his messy hair and somehow swallowed the urge to ran my fingers through them.

“Come downstairs.” He said, leaving me more confused but nevertheless I followed him.

“Why didn't you have dinner?” He asked, gesturing me to sit on the dinning table.

Because I was waiting for you. “I did.”

But I don't know why I'm so adamant to make myself embarrass infront of him. My stomach grumbled at the same moment. I grit my teeth and looked away from him. “I-I made dinner for you. I thought of eating together.”

I couldn't dare to look at him. My heart was racing in nervousness.

“Let's eat.” He announced.

I snapped my eyes to him and right there in that moment, my heart melted.