1.

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

    They say bad news comes in threes, or at least, that's what my dad used to say when I was growing up. But this time, it comes in ten.

Ten newspapers that say the same thing – tripe about us. Ten magazines gossiping about us, saying the same thing as those ten newspapers.

Ten... mangoes alongside the punnet of peaches on the side.

I know the peaches are for me; he's called me Peach since the night we met, but why mangoes?

My eyes furrow as I stare at Kai. He has a grin on his face as Emma giggles, piling more fruit into her mouth.

"This feels ominous, especially as that grin usually means you're up to something," I mention and point to the kitchen bench. "Why are there ten freaking mangoes on the side?"

"There's a method to my madness, Peach!" He grabs a mango and hands it to me. "Emma's enjoying them, but also you ruined the surprise by waking up early."

I arch an eyebrow and put the stupid newspaper down. The conversation about the press can wait a few minutes. Kai moves around the kitchen and shows me the fruit display.

"It's our wedding anniversary next week, right, and I was going to give you a fruit basket, amongst other things." He gives me those puppy dog eyes I can't ever ignore or deny. "Peaches because you're my peach, and mangoes represent marital bliss, and also fertility. I was going to add pineapples too."

I groan. "No more fertility talk. The papers are already annoying with it."

"The press office for the palace called early this morning. I knew this was coming. They won't shut up. They're just bored arseholes, Peach, looking for a story."

I sigh and help Emma with the last of her mango. She giggles as I give her the last bits and hand her a drink. "They're just... insane. What have our intimate lives got to do with them?"

Kai shrugs and takes the newspaper to have a look. There's a photo of me, Kai, and Emma at a royal engagement yesterday. We were doing a toddler group with other kids around Windsor as part of a charity we're championing next. Plus, it gets the babies interacting with each other, so I see it as a win-win.

"The public will relish any excitement, and for them, that's weddings and babies. They aren't to know anything that goes on in our lives, Peach. Try not to take it personally," he says gently. "I know it's hard."

"Is it worth coming out and saying it upfront? Like, we're trying, but nothing for six months yet. Stop bugging us."

Kai shakes his head. "As much as I'd like to tell 'em to screw off as well, we can't. Anyway, who is going to believe sensational headlines like this?"