3.

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

"I never thought this place would be so... modern and yet embrace the ancient desert at the same time." My dad stands out on the balcony of the royal suite of the hotel in Cairo. The suite is pretty luxurious, with two bedrooms, a kitchen, two bathrooms with walk-in showers and baths, and a large lounge and dining area. There are three balconies giving different views. The one in the second bedroom – the one we're using for Emma – looks over the hotel's golf course, which is next to the Pineapple Garden. The bedroom and living area balconies both give gorgeous, front-row views of the Pyramids of Giza.

I stand with my dad at the balcony door. He takes a grape from the fruit bowl left on the table and eats it. The hotel gives us a bowl of freshly grown fruit from around the country, including grapes, mangoes, melons and strawberries. It's so good.

"Growing up, you used to show me pictures on the internet and tell me that one day, you'd take me to see these."

Kai registers my presence and walks into the lounge to give me and my dad some space. Emma and Belinda are downstairs in their own suite – when the Institution booked us this hotel, they booked this suite for me and Kai, and a less-posh suite downstairs for her so she can look after Emma. As we've got to go to a meeting in an hour, she's looking after her downstairs until we get back.

Dad, Annie and Patrick decided to sneakily convince King Hugh that they wanted to come to Egypt as well. They used the excuse they wanted to help look after Emma, which I know they do, but my dad's always wanted to come to Egypt. Plus, we can have time together as a family. Gem couldn't get the time off, so she's stuck at home.

Dad pulls me into his arms and I smell the all-to-comforting scent. Despite my new status and impending queendom, he'll never fail to ground me.

"It's bloody surreal, isn't it?" Dad marvels.

I nod against his shoulder. "Thank you for convincing them to let you come with us."

Dad laughs. "Of course... as if I would let a trip like this slip away. Plus, with you becoming a queen in two months—"

I groan and sit on the sofa. Dad follows suit. The Great Pyramid is a sandy golden colour, standing out so majestic against the skyline of the desert. The city is built up around us, with modern buildings and towers, but that part of Cairo is behind the hotel. This hotel is so close to the Giza Necropolis that there's nothing but greenery and sand between us. It's the most surreal yet gorgeous backdrop I've ever seen.

"It doesn't feel real," I whisper. "Kai's still in shock and I just... don't know how I'm going to do this, Dad. I know I signed up for this, but still. Am I cut out for helping rule a Commonwealth?"

"Sweetheart, if you weren't cut out for this, the king wouldn't be allowing you to do it. We both know that. Look at how well you've been doing so far. You're balancing parenting with being a princess as if you've done it all your life. You're in Egypt and the people love you here already."