Chapter Five

Oskar and Mattias stood on the balcony while Helen helped Dorthee dress. Neither spoke a word and the prince was grateful for it. He was still unsure of what he would say to anyone about his predicament.

"Your Highness, you may enter again."

Oskar turned as Helen appeared in the doorway. She was smiling, hands behind her back with a strange innocence. But then he saw her gaze was focused on Mattias.

"I may need you to return later, to tend to Dorthee," Oskar said as he walked by her. "Actually, for the time being, you will assist Mattias in my chambers."

"At your command, my prince."

He walked into the room and the girl standing there did not look like Dorthee. The pale blue gown had a square neckline, tied at the center with a satin ribbon. Tastefully revealing the frilly blouse beneath the laced corset-style top piece of the dress. Her sleeves were long and narrow with extra fabric hanging at the wrists. The skirt reached the floor, but the toes of her leather shoes poked out from underneath.

Oskar cleared his throat and brought his gaze to Dorthee's profile.

"When I said I wanted nice things to wear, this was not how I expected to get them," Dorthee said, exhaling as she looked at her reflection in the looking glass.

"It suits you," he said, "and Helen will be available to bring you anything you need... and in the nature of needs, I need to visit my parents and my brother."

"You need to discuss why there is a deformed village girl in your chambers."

He sighed, "That as well... You understand I am not hiding you, yes?"

Dorthee tilted her head to the side, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"If you refer to my face-"

"Allow me to rephrase: I am not hiding you because of the scars on your face."

Dorthee snorted, "I understand, Your Highness; the thought had never occurred to me."

"Hmm, I am not sure I care for how you call me Your Highness. I think we are familiar enough for you to call me Oskar."

She smiled politely. "What about palace etiquette?"

"Fine, in private... Pretend you know I'm a prince as I am pretending to be a fellow villager seeking information about a crude mayor."

Dorthee laughed softly. "Very well."

She dipped into a delicate curtsy and Oskar had an idea.

Oskar knocked on his brother's bedroom door. Dorthee stood beside him, silent as a mouse. The door opened and one of Erasmus' servants appeared.

"Your Highness, the Crown-Prince is not available," the young woman said, pinching her lips together.