000²| 𝐌 𝐀 𝐑 𝐈 𝐀 𝐇

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

1977

IT'S DEPLORABLE HOW the majority of parents often mistake abuse for discipline. Some shout or yell, whilst others result to endless beatings or emotional abuse such as horrid insults and threats. Never thinking of the damage one could do to another with such actions, or maybe they simply just didn't care.

At nineteen years of age, this was Mariah's whole life. She lived in a home that reached over 10,000 square feet long, contained of seven bathrooms and five bedroom, one she shared with two of her sisters most may know as Latoya and Janet Jackson. Ten siblings in total, two somewhat happily married parents and six brothers who were like r&b royalty, you would believe her life was perfect.

But it was farthest from it, hence Joseph, known to her as the abusive father. Unlike her father, her mother was the complete opposite of abusive and cruel. In fact, her mother was just one of nine reasons she remained to tolerate her father's endless desire to physically and emotionally harm his children.

That was until now of course, where she would gain the courage to finally leave behind this life and soon, begin a new one. One where she didn't have to be a victim of endless assaults, and one where she didn't have to bare witness the abuse of the ones she loved.

She wanted out, and she wanted it more than ever.

"I'm sorry mom, but I can't stay here anymore" the young girl hastened into her bedroom, the dry tear stains crawling down her hazel brown cheeks as she cried.

To say she was over her life was an understatement at the least. She was beyond past her limit and the pain was something she just couldn't explain.

"Mariah, please calm down- we can talk about this" The voice of her mother, Katherine, followed closely behind her as she sauntered her way over to her closet.

"There is nothing for us to discuss, I'm leaving and that's final" She shamelessly tells her mother as she pulls a black suitcases from her large closet.

Not long after she opened it, she began to forcefully throw her belongings inside.

"Mariah, please" The young woman dismissed her mother's plea and shook her head as she paced back and forth between her dressers. "I'm sorry mother but you're just going to have to let me go-"

Katherine watched despaired at her daughter's words and saddened that she let it get this far. She has never seen her child fueled with such rage. Sure, she had her bad days where she down and upset, but never anything like this.