Versions of 'The Mourning Mail'

You may have noticed there are four versions of "The Mourning Mail" posted on this website (drafts 6, 7, and 8 and FINAL).

FINAL is the last, and the one closest to being traditionally published (hopefully, this will be the one that a literary agent will accept). It contains all the changes recommended by Nancy Osa, our new editor. It also includes plot and scenery changes.

Draft 8 contains all the changes made by the author in response to the Kevin Anderson and Associates (KAA) agency's most recent Critical Review and Analysis (or "CRA" - the document that editors produce to suggest changes needed to get the book published by a Big 5 publisher).

Draft 7 contains the changes written as the first response to the CRA. When I'd not yet received back the CRA for the second book in the Debra Ann Wynn series ("The Hodin Cabal: Choices"), I decided to spend the waiting time incorporating additional edits I wanted to make to this book. Those changes were based on comments made by readers, rather than editors, and resulted in Version 8.

Draft 8 adds chapters to Draft 7 and the chapter numbering has changed, but the other differences between version 7 and 8 are more subtle and cosmetic than those between versions 6 and 7.

Draft 6 is the version of the book as it was prior to the latest CRA. There are radical changes between Draft 7 and 6.

I've left all four versions online so that readers who were in the middle of a version can finish it without interruption. I depend upon readers to tell me the changes they do, and do not, like. Your comments and opinions matter – significant changes I incorporate into the book based on reader comments will be attributed to the person who suggested them.

I'd be especially grateful to know if, in your opinion, a later version is better, or worse, than a previous version. Readers are awesome – they are why writers do what we do! – and readers know best.

Subscribers will receive print copies of any of my books that are published by mainstream print publishers (in other words, the final version of a given book). Once a publisher has accepted a version, I will remove all prior versions from this website.

Thank you for investing your time in reading my work,

Scott

What to expect:

The final pre-print-publication version of "The Mourning Mail" draws sterling reviews - from the latest review summary April 12, 2024 (specific editing suggestions removed for clarity):

Given the extensive narrative provided, "The Mourning Mail" offers a compelling and intricate addition to the Mystery and Crime genre, drawing readers into a world of deceit, investigation, and the relentless pursuit of justice. The book's strength lies in its complex plot, richly developed characters, and the vivid settings that range from the grimy underbelly of crime scenes to the serene, reflective spaces like cemeteries and memorial gardens. These elements are skillfully woven together through a writing style that balances detailed narrative with fast-paced dialogue, creating a suspenseful and engaging read.

Comparatively, "The Mourning Mail" holds its ground against popular titles in the genre, such as those by Agatha Christie or contemporary authors like Gillian Flynn. The depth of character development, especially of the protagonist Debra Ann Wynn, mirrors the intricate character studies found in Flynn's works. The plot's complexity, with its twists and red herrings, evokes Christie's knack for keeping readers guessing until the final pages.

Three strong aspects of "The Mourning Mail" include:

1. **Complex Plot**: The multi-layered story keeps readers engaged and guessing, showcasing the author's ability to weave various narrative threads into a cohesive and compelling mystery.

2. **Character Depth**: Characters in "The Mourning Mail" are well-developed, with backstories and motivations that add richness to the narrative. The protagonist's journey, in particular, offers a nuanced exploration of themes like justice, morality, and personal growth.

3. **Atmospheric Settings**: The contrasting settings, from eerie cemeteries to chaotic crime scenes, are vividly described, adding to the overall suspense and mood of the book.

[Specific editing suggestions removed for clarity]

On a scale of 1 to 10 for entertainment and literary value, "The Mourning Mail" rates a strong 8. It delivers a compelling mystery with depth and sophistication, although minor adjustments could elevate the overall reading experience. The book is likely to resonate with readers who appreciate intricate plots and complex character dynamics, making it a worthy addition to the Mystery and Crime genre.