001| 𝐌 𝐀 𝐑 𝐈 𝐀 𝐇

CHAPTER ONE

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
1984

AFTER ALL THIS TIME Mariah was standing before the home she had abandoned precisely seven years ago.

Taking in the appearance, she took notice of how nothing much had changed since she was last here. The exterior walls were still creamy white and chesnut brown as the grass and bushes were still summer green and neatly trimmed like before.

She smiled at the sight before her as a wave of emotions kicked in. It was bittersweet for her to be back home, as returning had both it's benefits and downsides.

In all honesty, her only interest was to reunite with the brothers she adored and the sisters she admired.

"You alright?" the voice of her sister Rebbie, invaded her ears as she questioned her sister. Mariah turned to her and gave a nod, sending a smile to reassure her.

Rebbie's response was a simple nod as she pulled a silver key from her purse and placed it into the key hole, unlocking the door.

Although she may not have lived with her family, Rebbie still carried a key for when she would visit or even stay a few nights.

Once the doors were completely unlocked, she forced them open and allowed Mariah to walk in first.

As the two sisters enter the compound, the sound of shuffling and low muffled voices could be heard. The lights were off so at the moment, there was no sight to see.

Rebbie turned to the nearest wall and flicked the lights on, only for the two girls to be met with a crowd of people they would soon identify as their family.

A collective of 'suprise' and 'welcome home's' filled the atmosphere of the room, leaving a smile plastered upon the girl's lips.

Her brothers Jermaine, Jackie, Tito, Randy, and Marlon all stood off to the left while her sisters Latoya and Janet stood off to the right, accompanied by their mother, Katherine.

The only person who seemed to be missing was Michael. Mariah tried to seek him out through her crowd of family members but had no luck. Michael was a no show.

Brushing it off, she allowed a small laugh to escape her lips as she took a glance at the eight of them. Her brothers were as handsome as she remembered. Their signature thick afro's were now replaced with silk moist curls; and her sisters were just as beautiful.