5.

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

When something bad happens, I usually feel an aura around me. The air feels stagnant, my heart pounds harder, and I never feel comfortable. As we wait in the drawing room for King Hugh, I shuffle myself on the sofa for the fifth time. It's something bad, I can tell, but I keep the idea to myself so not to worry Kai even more.

We got back from Egypt an hour ago, landing at the private RAF airport and being driven straight here. My parents and Patrick will have gone straight home, while Emma is on Kai's chest in the baby sling, sleeping. We weren't instructed not to bring her, and the nanny was exhausted, so we sent her home for a break.

"What's up, Peach?" Kai asks.

I shake my head and adjust my seat again. My trousers suddenly feel itchy, despite me wearing them all day, on a plane and in the car. "Nothing's wrong," I lie. Well, it's not a lie per se, because as far as I know nothing is wrong, but I feel like it is. Everything feels claustrophobic and too close.

"Peach, I know you. Something's wrong."

I sigh. "I just... something feels off. Like... something bad is going to happen. I felt like this when you arrived to tell me we were going to fake this marriage thing when I was pregnant with Emma."

He laughs. "I mean, that turned out pretty well, I think. Prince Kai is sometimes right."

I snort. "It may have turned out, but you definitely weren't right. You never are. It was karma for both of us not using protection that night."

He cocks his head. "Fair point. If you're my karma, then I clearly did something right."

"Smooth as ever, Duke of Hampshire." The Dukedom titles we were given on our wedding day feel weird on my tongue because, though we have them, no one uses them.

"No one ever uses our titles like that. Feels weird. Prince and Princess sound better."

I shrug. "People don't use it because Prince and Princess of Wales are a higher title, right?"

Kai nods and adjusts Emma a little against his chest. "Yeah, pretty much. We lose them once we ascend, because the title of King and Queen Consort rule, obviously. But the title will be ours to give to whomever we want. I'd probably suggest giving it to Emma when she comes of age at eighteen."

I nod. "That kind of stuff goes over my head with who gets what title and dukedoms."

Kai grins. "Something I'll teach you, don't worry."

The door opens and Hugh walks in with his guards. Kai's already standing, so I get up off the sofa. While we're in private company, we don't need to bow or curtsey, but standing up is the least I can do as he's still the king of my country, regardless of my marriage or position in his family.