Chapter Seven

The hour grew late as the scribe wrote down Erasmus' dictation. Oskar had never sat through the making of a document before. Dorthee yawned and held tightly closed at her chest the robe Oskar gave her. Mattias and Helen stood with their backs to the side wall. They were now privy to the situation, sworn to secrecy until the princes thought of a better solution.

"You will also inscribe an additional document," Erasmus instructed as the scribe handed him a parchment. "Everyone in this room will sign the contract to keep this knowledge between us."

"Until I resolve the issue of Mayor Haywood and the village of Fernsworth," Oskar clarified for the sake of making his reservations known. "That is the main reason for Dorthee being here."

He tried to ignore Helen's giggles. The memory of what would have transpired had the maid not returned when she did. With Dorthee sitting right next to him, Oskar would have difficulty trying to glance at her without making it obvious. She had put her scarf back on and he wished she hadn't.

"And I do not want anyone punished," he added, resting his elbows on the little table they sat around.

"Very well," Erasmus replied, nodding as he held a small spoon of wax over a candle. "Dorthee, once this parchment has been pressed by the royal seal, you are officially the Duchess of Starlit Town. It will be filed in the archives and public records. Oskar and I will appoint you a troupe of guards, for your protection... And you will have to play the part as Oskar's intended bride. If that makes you uncomfortable, we will think of a solution to correct my... excited actions."

Dorthee snorted, and Oskar finally had a chance to look at her. She had a tired smirk on her face and was shaking her head.

"There will be consequences for all of the actions you are taking and that's the thing you are most worried about?" she asked, sitting forward. "Whether I am comfortable playing the part of a future bride? Priorities, Your Royal Highness."

The elder prince chuckled; Erasmus poured the hot wax onto the document and pressed his ring to leave a deep impression of the design.

"I do have one request, Duchess," Erasmus said as he handed the document to Dorthee. "Would you mind returning the ring you found? It belongs to me and the place you described matches where I lost it."

Oskar scoffed, fixing his brother with a questioning look and asked, "What were you doing out there?"

Erasmus grinned but said nothing in response as he returned to dictating to the scribe. Oskar sighed and turned his gaze back to Dorthee. He held back a smile when she covered her mouth and yawned over the scratching of the scribe's pen.

"Is there any chance we can finish this in the morning?" Oskar asked, glancing at his brother as a yawn of his own took control of his face. "It is getting late."

"I suppose a few hours will not make much difference," Erasmus replied as he, too, began to yawn. "Stop passing the yawn, Dorthee."

She laughed softly, taking Oskar by surprise. A melodious sound that made his heart skip. It wasn't the first time he'd heard Dorthee laugh, but it was the first time she laughed in company.

"Let us reconvene here, tomorrow morning," the elder prince went on as the scribe began clearing his items from the table. "Mattias and Helen, your presence shall be required, again."

The pair of servants bowed, or curtsied in Helen's case, before taking their leave. When the scribe was finished putting his things into his brown leather satchel, Erasmus bid Oskar and Dorthee a goodnight.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," he said with a chuckle before leading the scribe out.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Oskar asked, scrunching his nose as he tried to make sense of the advice. What wouldn't his older brother do? The things Erasmus had already done were endless. Then a thought hit the younger prince.