✿ TO BE UNLOVED ✿

ALAIA

"Wait." Agastya's mother called me when I was about to head out.

I looked at the retreating back of Agastya and turned to her in confusion.

"Just a small advice. Don't let that girl ruin your marriage. You might love my son but I know him better than anyone else and trust me, life is too long to be in one sided relationship." She spoke, pating my shoulder.

I pinched my brows together. "I-" I went out of words.

"When that girl died, he was diagnosed with severe depression. He cut off himself from the world for two years, Alaia and two years is not a short span. Now that you're in love with him, you're all happy but this love when isn't reciprocated from other side, it suffocates you." She added, staring at the vaccum for a second.

I bit on my lips not liking what she said. A weird feeling struck me and even though part of me wanted to correct her that I'm not in love with Agastya, the part was scared of that possibility. What if somebody I happen to fall in love with him? How can then I be be okay with our loveless marriage? But then again he asked me once if I'm ready to be in a loveless marriage and I said yes in a heartbeat.

What if I'll always end up being his unloved bride?

And just like that, everything seemed blur. I don't like what his mother said. I just don't....

I let out a shaky breath when I realised that Agastya was waiting for me outside. I bend down to touch his mother's feet and she smiled politely. "Be happy."

Not knowing how to react to her, I went to Agastya and found him outside his car. I sat inside.

Clutching my saree on the side, I rested my head against the window and stared out of it, suddenly feeling suffocated. I just want to reach his home as soon as possible so that I can be in my room. Right now, I don't feel comfortable. I feel stupid, hurt, confused and most of all right now, I want to avoid him.

My mind wandered to my childhood. And then to my teenage and finally to my early twenties. Why not for once I was loved and cared? My family consisted of three members but none of them ever considered me their family. Why? Because I don't know. Because I don't know why I was always the unlucky one when it comes to receiving warmth.

I don't feel good.

Once we reached his house, I stepped out of his car and not bothering to acknowledge him, I rushed to my room.

Surprisingly, I was too tired to cry. So, pushing everything aside and decided to sleep.

A faint sound of knock on the door made me awake. I rubbed my eyelids and darted my gaze to window. The sun was settling down, an orange hue spreading through the sky. I went to open the door and saw Agastya.

I looked at him, he looked back at me and for a moment, our gaze met. I licked my lips and waited for him to say first.

"You left your phone in the car." He passed me the phone. I took it from him and nodded.

I was about to shut the door before he spoke. "Tomorrow, there's this business party-"

"Okay." I whispered.

"Uh, do you want to eat instant noodles?" He asked.

I shook my head. "I'm not hungry."

He gave me a small nod then turned to leave. I closed the door and let out a breath that I was holding for so long.

I walked to the window and stared at the sky. Unpleasant emotions hit me and I felt needles prickling my throat. The sky looks so sad and I wonder if it'll rain, will I cry too? But I don't want to. I don't want to cry over something that isn't in my luck.

What I'm going to do with my life? I have no friends, no family, no one. I don't have a career or any fancy hobbies. I'm not.. I'm not someone even I'd like to spend my time with. I tried to latch onto Agastya to ease my boredom, to get some comfort, to be happy but he has a company to run; he's not a waste of space like me.

I slide the glass aside and let the cool breeze kiss my face. I stared at the flowers for a minute realising that when something hurts, it makes you despise yourself too.

I heard the knock on my door again.

"Alaia."

"Yes."

"Is everything alright?" He questioned, his eyes pausing at my face.

I blinked. "Yes."

"Okay." And then an uncomfortable silence fell between us. I don't know about him but I do find it suffocating. I don't know what's happening to me but now that he's infront of me, I feel no butterflies in my stomach. Instead, I'm scared. I'm scared of what the future holds for me, for us.

"Then why are you ignoring me?"

I stilled at his question.

"I'm not." I lied.

But the expression on his face clearly told me that he's very well about my lie.

"Are you angry at me?" He asked.

I looked at him; my eyes meeting his and my heart broke into million pieces. Something in my snapped hearing his words. I couldn't help but shook my head. "I'm not." I breathed out. Tears glistening in my eyes as I regretted ignoring him for whole day.

Why I'm this stupid? I was sulking over never being loved and here this man lost his love. How can I expect anything from him at all? How can I thought that I'm different from his parents who are blaming him for being in love?

He had no one to share his emotions; his own family cursed his girlfriend.

"Are you angry at me?"

"Why would I be?" He asked back.

He pressed my lips into thin line. "Because of what I...what I said to your parents."

He shrugged his shoulders not replying anything.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for your loss." I whispered, my lips trembling in heartache. "And your parents are wrong, Agastya. You're allowed to mourn. It only makes you human." I added.

And I'm sorry for ignoring you whole day. It wasn't because of you. Maybe because I was never loved enough, maybe because for a moment, I wanted to be selfish and think about myself that your presence suffocated me. It wasn't because of you, Agastya, it was because of me.

But then something happened. A soft smile shined on his face. It was so innocent and pure that I wanted to click a picture of it and keep it always next to me so that every time someone comes at me to tell me that my feelings for him will never be reciprocated, I would look at Agastya's smile.

"Don't ignore me from now on." He said, ignoring my words. "I don't want you to ignore me." He added and with that he left.

A/N

Please vote on the chapter and don't forget to comment, I love reading your views :)

Also, you can follow me on Instagram:

@ literallilac

—500 votes and I'll upload the next chapter <3