Chapter Nine

If eyes could burn, Haywood's gaze could start a forest fire. Oskar stood beside Ruby, resting a protective hand on Dorthee's clenched, trembling hands. 

"How interesting," the mayor's upper lip curled into a sneer. "The prince finds himself enamored with a deformed." 

"Choose your next words carefully," Oskar said, holding his ground. "Remember your place in the presence of royalty." 

The mayor held up his hands, but the smirk never faltered. 

"I meant no disrespect, m'lord," he said, shaking his head. "'Twas mere curiosity, considering this young woman was caught thieving just days ago." 

"Quite an accusation... However, you are misinformed, sir. She has not stolen anything and is under my protection." 

Mayor Haywood scoffed, "Are you not acquainted with her kind?" 

"Her kind?" Oskar asked; heat rose in his chest, reaching his eyes and turning his vision red. "Are you truly so disgusted by those who are less fortunate?" 

Enraged by the man's insolence, the prince clenched his hands into fists. How could anyone possess such hatred? Something moved from beneath his right hand. Oskar glanced up and saw Dorthee had removed one of her hands to rest on top of his. He met her gaze and exhaled his anger when she shook her head. 

"Talk to your father," she said, softly. "Haywood is here, for certain, to seek an audience with the king. You cannot let him speak first." 

"What about you?" Oskar whispered as she swung her opposite leg back over and slid off Ruby's back. "I am not about to leave you unattended with him nearby." 

"Send me in the direction of a secret. I know there are several that will take me back to the Queen's parlor. If I find myself in her vicinity, I will stay by her until you fetch me." 

Oskar sighed, turning to look back at Mayor Haywood. One should receive a box to the face for such chiding. In his peripheral vision, Oskar noticed a random servant observing the scene. 

"You there," the prince called out, motioning to the young man. "Bring Lady Dorthee to the queen. Do not leave her side until she has been greeted by my mother. Do you understand?" 

"Yes, your highness," the servant replied, nodding vigorously. 

Oskar did not feel confident about letting Dorthee out of his sight. But as he faced the mayor again he was relieved she had suggested going to his mother. The threatening gaze sent a chill up his spine. 

"Why are you here, might I ask?" Oskar said, approaching the man with caution. They were alone, a dangerous position for a prince to be in, especially with a man such as Mayor Haywood. 

Despite his stout stature, the man appeared to have a fit figure. Oskar calculated the possibility of an altercation, and realized he was no match against the wide shoulders and heavyset forearms. If only Oskar shared his brother's Elemental abilities. A bit of lightning could be handy. 

"Gathering of the royal court," the mayor replied, tilting his head to one side. "Once a month, the king allows his citizens to-" 

"To bring their petitions and requests before the throne for resolution," Oskar cut him off, crossing his arms. "I am well aware. However, that gathering has a set date and is not for another two weeks. Seeking an audience with the king is not impossible, though it will depend on his time. Not yours." 

"I was told to linger at the palace. It is possible my request will be heard on this day." 

Oskar sighed and refrained from asking the nature of the mayor's request.