7.

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

The peach-coloured dress floats as I walk, and the long sleeves make me feel slightly warmer in this cold weather. They gave me a bunch of borrowed diamonds from the royal collection to use tonight. 

I'm wearing a diamond necklace with a pink stone, small diamond earrings and a pink flower brooch that's got roots from King Hugh's grandmother's wedding day. Underneath my left sleeve is the charm bracelet my family gave me before all this royal business happened, and on my right wrist is a pink sapphire bracelet Kai had made from the royal diamond collection, and the same pink sapphire the brooch came from. Part of me feels overdressed.

Kai told me ages ago that we're presidents of BAFTA, which was handed to Kai when the last president stepped down. The presidents of BAFTA have always been royal, and Kai's love of the arts aligns with it. 

Tonight is the annual video game awards, and though it's never a smart-suited event, when they heard we were attending – our first engagement since the news of the cancer and our pregnancy came out – they turned it into a smart affair. Kai's been excited over it, and secretly so have I, with our love of video games. Luckily for us, part of our duties includes watching all the nominated films and playing nominated games. Both Kai and I have enjoyed doing that part of the role, for sure.

Kai stands by the door of the car as security opens it for me. The second I stand up, cameras and shouts are directed towards me. There's never much attention to video game awards previously, but it just goes to show if you put someone in public favour on the roster, people will flock. Hopefully, it turns into good attention for the industry. We're meant to be helping one company do classes in schools next week relating to gaming and setting up a scholarship for teens wanting to go into the industry.

That's of course amongst all the stress and unknown about when we'll be taking over as king and queen. It's been three days since the announcement of Hugh's cancer came out and the first time anyone royal has been seen outside the palace.

"We've got this, Peach, okay? Peach in peach colours," Kai whispers when I stand beside him for photos.

I laugh. "Princess Peach strikes again."

Kai moves to the left side of the crowd while I take the right hand side.

"Princess Mila!"

"How is the King?"

"Congratulations!"

I shake hands with people whose faces get lost in the sea of people while taking flowers of sympathy and congratulations and giving them to Jamie behind me. He seems to have become my personal security now instead of Kai's, while Kai has a new guy called Luke behind him all the time.

I stop in front of this young couple, two women holding hands while one of them has what I assume is a pregnant belly on her that she's resting her free hand on. Her partner holds out a phone to me.