8.

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

Public speaking has never been my forte. Even before I was involved in royal life, at school or university – anything – speaking to people like this was awful. When I was in nursing school, I had to do a ton of presentations in front of my cohort and a fake patient care scenario for the cameras as an exam. I'd always get stressed out, sweat like nobody's business, and my voice would shake like heck.

Though I don't do many press conferences as a royal, I've learnt to be okay in front of cameras. They don't make me sweat as much anymore, but I still get nervous. I don't know what could be worse than either getting married in front of everyone in the world, or standing outside the hospital doors mere hours after giving birth with makeup on, but the idea of this specific press conference makes me a nervous mess. I don't even have to talk, for fuck's sake – and I cannot swear, either.

Princesses do not swear in public. Nor do they get sweaty and shaken.

All I have to do is stand next to Kai for ten minutes.

The king is going to mention how the law has already passed that allows him to abdicate for his ill health when he sees fit, which he and parliament have agreed to two days from now – Wednesday – and he'll announce that when he signs the documents at eleven in the morning, Kai will become the King of England and the Commonwealth, while I will be Queen Consort, meaning we will be King Kai the First and Queen Mila, and I'll be crowned as a queen alongside Kai when we hold a coronation.

Kai will address the nation as well, though I don't know what his speech says other than how he's sad about how this is happening, but proud to serve the nation.

The cameras have been set up with a tiny podium thing for us to stand on in what they call The White Drawing Room in Buckingham Palace. We had to travel up here from Windsor this morning, just for this, though we're staying here for a few days while the abdication happens.

The entire room is decorated in white with gold trimmings, living up to its name of White Drawing Room – why didn't they come up with a better, more creative name, I don't know. Every painting had a gold frame. Gold sofas are around the area, though they've moved those ever so slightly to make room for this address. The ceiling has intricate gold decorations and a crystal chandelier swoops low down.

This whole place is nuts. It's so steeped in rich history, and I cannot believe I'm a part of it. Me, little Mila Kennedy – well, now Kennedy-Abbott legally, but Abbott to everyone else – from the south of England with the stepfamily who had an unprotected one-night stand with Prince Kai who was in disguise. Now I'm going to be queen. Well, the public doesn't know we got together because of a one-night stand, but still.

I remember when I found out about Kai, and I joked about him threatening to chop my head off and keep his bastard child, like Henry the Eighth, and how he said he was his ancestor. Now I'm part of that lineage of sorts.