11. Augustine

...I never needed anything more

I woke up to darkness and something tugging at my arm. I groaned, trying to shake it away, but it held on.

"Auggie?" I heard a whisper.

I blinked a few times, waiting for my eyes to adjust.

"Aurora, what are you doing in here?" I asked. I could see her figure from the faint moonlight coming through the window. She stood at the side of my bed in her favourite purple hoodie.

"Can I sleep with you?" she asked. "I had a scary dream."

I rubbed my eyes and reached out to her. "C'mere," I told her, lifting her onto the bed. She lifted the blankets and climbed under, laying her head on my chest.

"Thanks, Auggie," she whispered. "You're the best big sister."

*

"Auggie, Auggie, wake up!" Aurora jumped up and down on my bed.

"Jesus, Aurora, what time is it?" I grumbled. I squinted my eyes as sunlight poured into my face. Aurora continued to jump.

"We're going to the beach with James and Miles!" she shouted.

Uh oh.

I didn't know how to talk to James. We had left things awkward and flirty, and I wasn't sure how to proceed. I knew I was starting to like him, and as much as that bothered me, I still enjoyed his company. Grumbling, I dragged myself out of bed and to my bathroom, Aurora at my heels.

My hair was a mess, poofing out around my head. My eyes had bags underneath them, and I had pillow lines across my cheeks. I grimaced, and proceeding to wash my face and brush my teeth and braid my hair. I then slipped into my purple bikini top, a pair of athletic shorts, and a pale blue t-shirt.

Five minutes later, I was looking better, and Aurora let me know.

"You're pretty, Auggie," she told me. "One day I want to look like you."

"Thanks, Aurora," I told her. "Let's get ready to go."

As we entered the kitchen, my sister looked at me thoughtfully.

"Auggie?" she said. "I need to talk to you."

She sat down at the table as my mom served us breakfast.

"Thanks, Mom," I smiled.

"I spoke to Leah," she told us. "You guys are spending the day at the beach with the boys. Your dad and I have lots of work to do, so we won't be coming."

I watched Aurora's face fall and felt bad for her yet again. I couldn't remember the last time my parents played a game with her or hungout with her. I didn't want to spend all day at the beach, but I'd do it for my sister's sake. My mom walked out of the kitchen, and I sat across from Aurora.

"Now, what would you like to talk to me about?" I asked her, taking a bite of toast.

Aurora took a deep breath. "Auggie, I'd like for you to start calling me Rory," she said with a solemn look.

It took all my strength not to laugh. Leave it to Aurora - Rory - to make something so simple such a big deal. She stared at me with a deep seriousness in her eyes, waiting on my reply.

"Of course, Rory," I responded, and she giggled, her curls bouncing around her head. I smiled at my sister. She could be an actress when she was older. She had the cuteness and definitely the facial expressions. She ate up the fruit and yogurt on her plate, then jumped up and ran to the door.

"Let's go, Auggie!" she yelled.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" I yelled back.

She ran back into the kitchen, sliding in her socks along the smooth, wooden floor. "What? What did I forget?" she asked anxiously.