where you can't seem to hold me, can't seem to let me go - !longer chapter!

Haruhi walked through the club room, the talking of girls being wooed by the hosts and the soft clinking of expensive glass being the only sounds in the room. She didn't have to be with any guests, so she busied herself by scanning the space, taking note of the various club activities left in a state of semi-disarray. However, one corner of the room drew her attention.

Shizuka was seated on a stool, a canvas in front of him, palette in hand, and brushes scattered about. A content look was on his face, but there always was. She can't see what he was painting, he was tucked more in the corner and didn't have the painting to her. Haruhi liked Shizuka, he was probably the most reasonable and relaxed person in this room.

But then she looked over, seeing Kyoya standing off to the side as well, glancing up every once in a while to look at Shizuka.

She walked over to him, eyes still fixed on Shizuka. "Shizuka-Senpai is a good painter, huh?" she remarked.

Kyoya hummed. "Indeed, his talent is... quite exceptional." he said.

"It's impressive, he never seems to boast about it. I see some of his work around the school but he can walk past them like it's nothing."

"He doesn't feel the need to boast about it."

Haruhi nodded. "Do you know what he's painting right now? I don't want to go over there and bother him."

"... A moonlit beach."

Shizuka's brush swept across the canvas, creating the moon's reflection on the imaginary shore. Haruhi tilted her head up to see the paintbrush more. She turned her attention back to Kyoya.

"You... seem to pay attention to him quite well." she commented.

"Paying attention is one thing, understanding is another." he said.

"Understanding?" Haruhi repeated slowly.

Kyoya turned to her, his expression unreadable. "Yes, understanding," he confirmed.

"Understanding someone's thoughts, their complexities, and... their..." he glanced back Shizuka. Haruhi studied Kyoya's profile, seeing how his eyes softened at him, seeing how his face became somewhat hard to read. "... desires."

Haruhi's eyes widened slightly as Kyoya snapped his notebook shut.

╔══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╗

Two years ago, Shizuka was in his third year of middle school, and he had just gotten some good news.

"You're being put into this class?" Chidori asked, looking over the letter of recommendation.

He and Shizuka sat at the kitchen table across from each other. Chidori was holding the paper in his hands with great surprise. Shizuka nodded, a smile plastered on his face.

I've told you I've been working hard!

Chidori's eyes were still wide. Shizuka wasn't exactly known to be the... how does he put this lightly? Shizuka wasn't known for his talent in academics!

When his father wasn't saying anything else, Shizuka started to deflate. He grabbed the paper and folded it, tossing it to the side.

It's not important, actually. I just wanted to show you. You're tired, you should go rest.

Shizuka got up from his seat and was about to walk up the stairs when Chidori turned him around and hugged him. Shizuka immediately wrapped his arms around his dad as well, burying his head in his shoulder.