3.2 |If 1995 was Different|

Read, vote and comment.
I hope you enjoy this.

----

January 1997

"Are you going to divorce Anuj despite me saying no?" Kanta asks. "Mom, I want to move on with my life and focus on my career," Anupama says. "But you have been married for almost two years," Kanta says. "That doesn't matter," Anupama says.

"I don't agree with your decision," Kanta says. "I am an adult and a doctor. I will make my own decisions," Anupama says. "Who is going to marry a divorcee? It's 1997, and we are not in America," Kanta says. "I am sure someone will," Anupama says. "Are you still in love with Vanraj?  he is getting married in a few months," Kanta says.

"Eww, I am not interested in that man. I don't want to tie Anuj down anymore when I don't love him," Anupama says. "He loves you, so what about tying him down?" Kanta says. "I don't love him, shouldn't I love him?" Anupama asks.

"Both of you live in different continents; how will you love someone you aren't spending time with? Either you go to the US or wait till he finishes his masters," Kanta says. "I don't want to delay my life any further," Anupama says. "Nobody is going to marry you," Kanta says.

"Well, thank you for the confidence, Mom," Anupama says. "I am not going to have grandchildren," Kanta says. "Bhavesh will get married," Anupama says.

——

"Do you not love her anymore?" Gayatri asks Anuj. "I do love her," Anuj says. "Tell her that; tell her you want to try to make her happy," Mani says. "She is not interested in a marriage," Anuj says.

"Let me tell you something, this is 1997. She was going to get married to a man and ended up married to another one. Her husband left her a few months after marriage to America. He must have left because she is not a good wife, and now they are divorcing," Gayatri says.

"People are going to gossip about Anupama. You will be able to get married again, but she will find it extremely hard because people are not open-minded," Mani says. "I want you to think about these things that Anupama is not thinking about," Gayatri says. "I know, but I can't force her," Anuj says.

"You are not making any efforts either. At least try to live in the same house for a year before you end it," Gayatri says. Anuj seemed to take his parent's words better than Anupama. She was strong-headed.

——

"I appreciate that you both want to get divorced, but your family has expressed that they think you haven't thought this through enough," the lawyer says. "Excuse me, but our parents are not the ones married. It's us," Anupama says.

"I agree with them on this. You haven't lived together for a year at least. People whose marriages are arranged only start to fall in love after spending time with each other," the lawyer says.

"I don't want to get a divorce," Anuj says. "What do you mean?" Anupama looks at him, upset. "Ma'am, I married her because I love her, and the person she would marry didn't want to let her finish her education. See, not only is my wife a doctor now, but she has received offer letters from many hospitals," Anuj says.

"Did you do me a favour? Are you the one that wrote my exams?" Anupama asks. "You wouldn't have been able to take the exams if you had married that Vanraj," Anuj says. Anupama rolled her eyes. "You should respect your husband," the lawyer says. "I am fifteen months older than him. He should call me Didi," Anupama says. "Chee," Anuj says.

"You should respect everybody no matter what their age, status or background is. He respects you, and he deserves that also," the lawyer says. "I am sorry," Anupama says. "After listening to this case, I am implementing the six-month rule. Stay together for six months, and then we will resume this conversation," the lawyer says. "I have to go back to school next month," Anuj says.