Chapter 15: Bonding?

Sally all but ambushes me when I come to take over at the wheel for her. "I didn't hear any screaming. How did things go with Murphy?"

"We smacked each other around a little. Well, I mostly hit him. Nothing too bad, though. I tried not to shout, but I did give him a talking to. We've come to an agreement about what we're doing moving forward. When we get to Pirate's Cove...he's agreed to retire."

"Wait, what? Murphy's leaving?"

"Yes. He's getting old, Sally. We talked about it after we'd calmed down and talked about how he's getting worse, anger-wise. He needs to settle down somewhere and work on himself. Maybe fix the relationship with his kids. I don't care. But if he's this unstable, he needs to get off my ship. I'm not tolerating this kind of behavior."

Sally shakes her head, frowning. "You never did tell me what he did."

"He knocked Xian overboard."

"And you didn't kill him?"

"Of course not. I still care about Murphy. I'm furious at his actions, but not shocked. I just...His temper is getting to be such a big problem. He worries about me being reckless, and then he tries to murder somebody. Hypocrite."

Sally snorts, then nudges me with her elbow. "And Xian?"

"He's doing better than he was. Ciden helped a lot."

"I meant did you talk to him."

"No."

Sally gasps. "You did! You filthy liar!" At my unimpressed look, she just smiles. "I know how to tell when you're lying, Simone. I've known you long enough. So you finally told him how you feel? How did it go? What happened?! Tell me everything!"

"Aren't you 'better' than this sort of gossip, Sally?"

"Not when it comes to this. Tell me!"

"He said he'd think about everything I told him and respond when he processed it all. That's it."

"I don't think that's everything, but okay."

I sigh, rolling my eyes at her. "It really is. The only other thing that came up was that he's worried I'll be like the bastard that tried to take him by force. Since we've said similar things, Xian worries that I'll be cruel like the asshole. So I told him that if he'd let me try, then I would show him that I'm better than that."

"What if he doesn't like what you like?"

"You're both jumping so far ahead with this. Xian mentioned that too. He may never want to experiment with me at all, let alone sexually. Can't we just focus on him possibly wanting me to court him? One step at a time, Sally. Besides...I'd start easy. I wouldn't want to traumatize him with the multi-tailed whips, you know?"

"Good, you're thinking about this in a smart way. I'm so proud!"

I shove her away gently. She barely even stumbles, laughing and pushing me back. "You're so condescending. I'm older than you!"

"No one cares who's older than who. Seriously, though, Simone...It's impressive that you're having this much self-control with this. I'm not used to you being so restrained when you want somebody. It's new."

"I'm not a completely lust-driven entity, Sally."

Sally laughs again. "See, I'd beg to differ. Either way..."

"I am going to continue to monitor myself and keep myself in check around Xian, and will wait until he comes to me to talk about anything."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------