✿ TO BE DEFENDED ✿

ALAIA

I took the freshly baked bread from the oven. It's been quite some time since his parents left and at first I thought of seeing him if he's okay but then ended up giving him some personal space. What I've learnt today has already shaken me to my bones. Agastya wasn't able to see Zoya for the last time? How can anyone in the world do this to their own son? I've always thought that my family is pathetic because of lack of education but then there's Agastya parents. Both of them are thoroughly educated and come from a decent background yet they did this to their only child?

This is so horrible that I can't even imagine. I've read multiple letters that he writes to Zoya. His pain, his frustration, his anger, his love, I've read them all. And everytime I think of his letters, I feel my heart aching for him. Why his parents had to do this to him? Why they didn't let him go to her funeral? Do they even have slightest of idea what kind of damage they did to Agastya?

How can anyone move on in their life if they haven't said goodbye to their past?

And this was the first time he confronted his parents about it? After eight long years?

My grip on the knife tightened in anger as I cut the bread into pieces. I don't like his parents. That's it.

My eyes fell on the soup that Agastya was making. I tasted it and quickly rubbed my tongue against the back of my hand. Too much of salt.

I clicked my tongue and smiled. And here he was trying to knead dough. It seems as if he accidentally spilled lot's of salt in the soup.

“Alaia.” He walked into the kitchen.

“Yes.” I looked at him to see if he's alright.

“I'm sorry about my parents.” He whispered.

“No. You don't have to be sorry.....” I said. It wasn't your fault.  “Are you okay?”

He shrugged.

“I'm done with the bread. And about the soup—” I smiled. “Have you accidentally emptied the whole box of salt in it?”

I tried to lighten up his mood.

He took a spoon and tasted it. His nose scrunching up in disgust. “What is this?”

“Tomato soup.” I teased.

He narrowed his eyes. “Funny.”

But then he emptied the soup in the dustbin and put the new pan of stove. He grabbed all the veggies and took the knife from me and while doing so, our skin touched. I felt a spark but acted as if nothing happened while my mind took me back in the time when Agastya was so close to me. The way his rough thumb traced my jawline, his breath hitting all over my face, I couldn't help but think of the possibility that what would have happened if his parents didn't came and broke our eye contact?

What if he pulled me further close to him? His thumb softly creasing my lips as I close my eyes shut and then he would've leaned into me, pressing his warm lips against mine—

“Earth to Alaia.” I whispered under my breath. Subconsciously my eyes landed on his lips and somewhere in the back of my head I could picture— No, stop.