Accepting disappointment - The Second Part (A slightly different take)

A/N - Do not take it too seriously, because I have twirled the characterizations a tad bit. I respect MS Dhoni so much but I wanted to explore his 'human' side a little bit. If it hurts sentiments, then I am truly sorry. It is in the format of the "One Sacked Captain format but with some differences.)

Will look forward to hearing from all of you.

The nighttime had well and truly fallen by the time MS finally made his way back into the main house. The front room was dimly lighted with just the soft glow from the fireplace and a small glass globe of light on the ceiling.

There was no one around and MS felt a tickle of unease which ebbed away as soon as he saw Sakshi sitting in the armchair placed right next to the fireplace and she was knitting something; something pink.

Almost in a daze, MS walked over and dropped down on the carpet, placing his head against Sakshi's knee. The rhythmic clicking of the knitting needles stopped and Sakshi's hand ran through MS's hair, gently scratching his scalp; a shiver of comfort travelled through his spine and MS buried his head further into Sakshi's side.

He wrapped his arms around his wife, drawing some comfort from her familiar hold.

"What happened, Mahi?"

Sakshi voiced her question only after a good half an hour had passed, and the grandfather clock chimed eleven times.

MS shook his head, further tightening his hold.

Sakshi's fingers landed on entire side of MS's forehead and with gentle yet firm pressure, she drew the worst of his headache away and after a long while, MS finally felt somewhat at ease.

"Are you alright, sweetie?"

The familiar teasing and yet delivered so softly that it was soaked with warm solace.

"I don't know."

MS lifted his head and with wet eyelashes, looked up at his life-partner.

"Isn't it pathetic that I don't know?"

Sakshi reached out and gently cupped MS's cheek. "You can never be pathetic. Ever."

"Really?" There was something extremely childlike about his words, which made MS blush and Sakshi smile.

Bending over, Sakshi dropped a kiss on MS's forehead. "Really."

For a long while MS stared at Sakshi, taking in her features with tender regard and mirroring her, he cupped her cheeks in his palms. "What have I ever done to deserve you?"

It may have been the firelight, but Sakshi's eyes flickered the slightest bit. "Shouldn't that be my line? Sakshi Dhoni, wife of the great Mahendra Singh Dhoni."

"Not really, Saks. Why do all of you endeavor to put me on a pedestal? I am a flawed human being, Sakshi. Some see me for the truth of what I am and then there is you, and there is Virat and Rohit. You people..."

MS shook his head in desolation.

Sakshi turned her head and placed a kiss on the inside of MS's wrist. "Not just us, there are others too. There is your Sourav Dada, your Sachin Paaji, Jammy Bhai, Anil Bhai, Ashu, Sonu, Zak, Rishu, Harry, Jassi, Rutu, Jaddu, Cherry, and so many others. I will grow quite tired if I start naming all of them. And do not even get me started on those overseas cricketers. Faf is still heartbroken about not being able to play with you."

"You forgot Yuvi..."

"Mahi?" Sakshi tilted her head curiously but there was a quick glimpse of knowledge in her eyes. "I-I did not forget Yuvi. Only felt that maybe this was not....the right time to address that elephant in the room. The kids need you more, at this moment."