CHAPTER ONE

Deraya's POV
     The day is finally here. The mapping ceremony where i get to finally know who my mate is. This is a fun experience that I have been looking forward to since i was twelve. Now i am eighteen today. Funny how the ceremony was placed on my birthday. Normally,every year when wolves turn eighteen, a ceremony is held which consists of the enchantress( every pack has one) cutting the palm with a silver knife so we would bleed and not heal quickly like werewolves do. Then she collects the blood and sprinkles it on some sort of enchanted map which then absorbs the blood. A few moments later a spot begins to glow on the map which marks the abode of the person's mate. Females are required to travel to wherever their mates are while the males stay put for the females to meet them.
     So,if my mate is not in my pack i will be travelling tonight to wherever he is which is why i am busy packing my clothes and stuff. I would really love to find my mate but i am still so sad i will have to leave my pack and my brother, Derrick. Derrick is my elder brother and the only parent figure i have. He took over being the Alpha of Red Crescent Moon Pack after my parents were killed in a war two years ago.
      A knock sounded on the door and i looked up from my box. That should be Naomi,my best friend. We will be going to the ceremony together.
"Is that you Nana?" I called.
"Yes it is me. Just open the door already"she said.
  I rolled my eyes. So like her to be so impatient." The door is open"
  I watched as she bounded in. A mischievous grin evident on her bright face. She rushed to my side and hugged me tight offering an awkward high pitch rendition of the Happy Birthday song. I pretended not to be interested but i was secretly smiling. She then brought out a crescent shaped ruby necklace around my neck. It's kind of like a tradition between the both of us. It started when we were little pups. We exchange necklaces of different gems every year but this year is  special because we would be going our separate ways. I guess she saw the tears in my eyes because she looked at me worriedly.
"Are you okay Raya?"she said.
I hugged her tighter. "I am. It's just...after the ceremony we would be going our separate ways. I am going to miss you so much Naomi".
"Awwn! The moon goddess wont be so cruel as to separate us. I am sure we will have our mate in the same pack."she crooned.
  "Things don't work that way you know." I rolled the pendant of the necklace between my fingers and looked down at it. "Thanks for the necklace. It is really beautiful."
  She sat up and tucked her newly styled straight black hair behind her ear. "Just remember us,our friendship and what we stand for anytime you put on that necklace."
   "I sure will. You know Nana,your birthday is next month and since we won't be together to celebrate it i got something for you too."
  I go over to my dresser and open a jewelry box. I picked up a jade necklace and proceeded to hook it around her neck. She gasped and hugged me.
"Pretty little thing you got me." She said.
"It is the colour of your eyes." I added.
"How did you get it? Oh my. Jade is very rare and expensive. You must have spent a lot."
"I don't mind Nana. You are my best friend." I smile widely. "I can't place any price on that."
She groaned playfully. "Now you are making me feel bad i didn't get you a sapphire necklace."
   "No Nana. This is much better. A red crescent. Sure to remind me of my root and all the amazing times we have spent together.
  In vase you are wondering why Naomi's birthday is next month. Well,she is a year and a month older than me. The mapping ceremony took place around this time last year so she had to wait till this year to participate.
"Are you done packing your stuff?" I asked Naomi.
"Of course. It's at the pack house. Now we have to hurry so we get to be at the front line. We need to be out of there as fast as we can so we can celebrate your birthday before we hit the road."
  I watched as she raised her arms and cheered. She was saying something but i was barely listening to her. My mind was preoccupied with an entirely different thought.
     What if my mate is dead?
     What of he doesn't like me?
     What if he thinks i am too plain?
     What if he rejects me?
All the what if's  kept going round and round in my brain till i was jolted put from my thoughts my Naomi's ringing phone.
  She picked up her phone and gave me a knowing look. I immediately knew who was on the other end. My brother, Derrick.
   "What's up Derrick?" She said into the phone and i gestured for her to put the speaker on.
   "Is Deraya with you?"
   "Yes. Anything wrong?"
I heard him sigh
    "Nothing really. I just need to see her. Her phone was switched off."
   Derrick sounded tired and worried and fed up. He was sure going through a lot adjusting to life as an Alpha. He has not meet his mate yet and i hope he does this year.
  "Can i see her before the ceremony? I would have come home but i have been really busy."
    He has not been home for three days now.
     "Hand over the phone to her please?" He said.
    "She is listening Derrick" Naomi said.
    "Hey Derrick" i offered.
    "Deraya! I am so sorry i left you all alone. I have been busy."
    "I understand Derrick" I said. A bit sad he didn't wish me happy birthday. I don't blame him really.
     "I wanted to see you before the ceremony but there is no time..."
     "I will see you at the ceremony then or wouldn't you be there?" I couldn't help but cut in.
     "I will be there." There was a long pause. "Why do you sound so down? Are you okay?"
     "I am okay Derrick. See you later then" I ended the call and sighed deeply.
    "He forgot your birthday"
Trust Naomi to always know my thoughts.
     "Yeah. I don't blame him though. He's got a lot going on."
     "Don't feel sad okay? Come on let's get you dressed"

Okay so guys. How was it? Please comment. This is my first book on Wattpad. I hope you all liked this chapter. More coming soon.