Chapter 42 - You're Welcome

"Hey!" You beamed, pulling Leah in for a tight embrace. "It feels like it's been a while since I last saw you." Leah returned the embrace warmly, her smile radiant as she pulled back to look at you. "It really has been too long," she agreed, her eyes sparkling with genuine happiness. "How have you been?"

You laughed, feeling a surge of warmth at Leah's compliment. "I've been good, busy as always," you replied, waving a hand dismissively. "No Emily or Haley?" You questioned. "They couldn't make it. They didn't say why." Leah shrugged, not seeming too bothered. You shrugged too, moving on.

"Enough about me, how about you? How's the wedding planning going?" You both sat down on the bench by your front porch, the summer heat beating down intensely.

Leah's expression shifted slightly at the mention of the wedding, her smile faltering for just a moment before she recovered. "Oh, you know how it is," she said with a forced cheerfulness. "Lots of decisions to make in a short time, but it's all coming together, I suppose..."

You sensed there was something more beneath Leah's words, a hint of tension or worry that she was trying to conceal. Concerned, you decided to question it. "Is everything alright?" you asked softly, your voice filled with genuine care. "You seem a little... tense."

Leah's smile softened at your words, and she shook her head slightly. "It's just... well, you know how it is with weddings," she admitted, her voice tinged with frustration. "So much pressure to make everything perfect." Listening empathetically, you nodded in understanding.

"Remember, you can never make something 'perfect,' that's impossible." You reassured. "Love isn't meant to be perfect, is it?" You smirked, seeing her crack a smile as you teased. "No, I suppose not." she agreed, a glimmer of amusement in her eyes.

"Did you get your dress?" You asked excitedly.

Leah's eyes sparkled with anticipation as she nodded. "Yes, I did! It's absolutely perfect," she exclaimed. You really loved seeing her so happy, she deserved it. "I can't wait for you to see it. It's at home right now, waiting for all the final adjustments." This was one of the first times you had had a proper friendship with another girl, and it was evident in your excitement at hers.

"I'm buzzing for you," you replied genuinely. "I'm sure you'll look absolutely stunning in it."

Leah grinned, her cheeks flushed with excitement. "Thanks, Evangeline." She paused before carrying on. "What is your opinion on weddings?" She questioned, genuinely curious. Maybe she was trying to rationalise her pre-wedding stress.

You pondered Leah's question for a moment, considering your thoughts. It was something that had rarely crossed your mind. "Well, weddings are a lovely celebration of love and commitment," you began thoughtfully. "But I think they can also be overwhelming with all the expectations that come with them." You finished.

Leah nodded in agreement, a thoughtful expression on her face. "That's so true," she replied, a hint of relief in her voice. "It's easy to get lost in the chaos and forget the real reason we're doing all of this to begin with." A comfortable silence hung in the air between the two of you.

"What about you, do you want to get married?" She prompted, your mouth letting a small sigh escape.

"Yes, I didn't use to, but now I do." You replied, your eyes gazing at the small clouds above.

"Is it having the right person that changed your mind?" She further questioned.

"Maybe."

"You and Harvey manage to keep your relationship quite private I've noticed."