Chapter 9

Cameron

"Little man! How've you been, buddy? I haven't seen you in forever." I exclaim, grunting when Liam's arms strangle around my neck.

"Cammy! I've been sooo good. Did Rhys tell you my team won our last game and I scored a goal?" Liam asks, high fiving Mike when he passes through the entryway.

Mike, Ava and I walked over together to Rhys and Maeve's house warming party (No idea why they are hosting one, just turn up the furnace or something) while the rest of them arrived mere minutes before us because Ava insisted we stop and get them flowers to freshen up their apartment.

When asked why, she said "Because flower power. Obviously."

We've been "dating" for almost a week. We haven't actually seen each other for almost five days though with how hectic our schedules are, with training and then Ava working on top of that so we agreed to come to the party together.

Ava, who's been standing behind me for the past few minutes, ruffles Liam's hair with a smile. "Has it been pretty boring without me here living with you?"

Liam's head all but collapses onto my shoulder, sighing heavily. "So boring."

"I bet. How 'bout you show me your new room? Your sister told me you and Rhys decorated it."

Liam squirms until I place him gently on his feet, grabbing Ava's hand before dragging her behind him and down the hall.

Seth comes up beside me, watching me with a tilted head. "So, you and Ava, huh?" He nudges my shoulder. "How long has that been going on?"

I clear my throat, remembering what Ava and I talked about earlier this week. "Since around the new year.

Seth whistles, red solo cup in hand. "You've kept that a secret for almost a month and a half? You? That's crazy. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone until you guys do."

"Even Kyla?"

"Especially Kyla. She'd have a field day with this type of tea." He nods once before heading to the couch, where most of them are in a heavy game of Pictionary.

"Did you like it? My room? Rhys said he loved my Thomas the Train bed." Liam says, jogging back down the hall and stopping at my feet.

Ava smiles at him. "I'm so jealous. I wish I had a room like that when I was your age."

"Duh. 'Cuz mine is the coolest ever."

"Coolest ever." Ava agrees, coming to stand stiffly beside me, twirling the boutique in her hands before setting them on the counter.

I've noticed her hands always have to be doing something. Brushing against her pants, tapping her thumb against her pointer. Sometimes it even looks like she's trying to scrape paint that's not even there off.

I hear Maeve swear at someone on the couch-most likely Noah since those two are more alike than they would ever admit.

"Liam! Do not take Noah's side! Ever! Your uncle is a cheater." Maeve spits and Noah looks all too proud that Liam plops himself down beside him.

Noah tsks, leaning back against the couch. "Don't lie Maeve. Wouldn't want Liam to pick up on such a bad habit."

Maeve practically growls at him, flipping him off.

"Is this how most parties go with all of them? Arguing and fighting over who's the best uncle?"

"Pretty much. And it's me by the way. I'm the best uncle." I glance towards the food which lines the table. "Want something?"

I grab us each a slice of Maeve's chocolate cake and sit with Ava on the bar stools. Today she's wearing black wide legged jeans and a pink top with white lining the sides. Her chestnut hair is slicked back into a ponytail like usual and I know she's wearing makeup-not anything heavy-because her scar is faintly covered.

"Have I told you how nice you look today?"

Ava blinks, fork suspended in the air. "N-no. Is this some sort of trick question?"

I sputter. "What?" My head shakes. "No. I-you just look nice today. Thought I should tell you."

She relaxes slightly but doesn't look convinced. "Well, you look nice as well, Cameron."

I tilt my head, slurping on a juice box I snatched from the fridge. "Why do you call me that? Cameron? Everyone else calls me Cam."

Her eyes widen slightly, taken back by my question. "Oh, I just thought-do you not want people calling you that? I just thought since it's your name-"

I chuckle faintly. "It is my name but I guess I haven't heard it for a while. That's all."

Ah fuck. She's all tense and shit again. Damn it.

I honestly hate my name. Not that it's not a bad name or anything but when you've been in the foster system since you were a baby, people tend to use it for...bad things.

Jill and Kevin were the best foster parents I had-even though they got rid of me after seven months. They fed us the bare minimum and sure, you had to sleep on the floor and maybe use mother nature as a bathroom from time to time but they left us alone for the most part. And that's where I met Rhys.

Even after I was passed around to other houses, I still went to school and had practice with him so that made every other situation better. We don't talk about it though. We chatted about my previous home situations when we were younger and only he knows how bad I had it when I was a child but we've found better places and people so it never comes up anymore.

"But I like when you say it. My name."

She eyes me warily. "Why?"

Because she says it with hope and confidence and like I mean something. She doesn't say it harshly or full of hate or like I'm five again and being yelled at for pissing the bed and needed to be punished.

I shrug. "Just 'cuz."

Ava clasps her hands together. "Okay then. Cameron. I was wondering if there were any events for hockey or anything like that you needed me to attend with you so we can, 'ya know. Make an appearance for."

I think about it for a moment. "Are you free tomorrow evening?"

"I work until six. Why?"

I grin. "Well, I was wondering if you would like to go on a date. Our first official date."

She sucks a breath in, nibbling on the inside of her cheek. "You really want to take me on a date?"

"Yes. Why is that so hard to believe?"

She shakes her head, spacing out. I wait a few moments.

"Ava?" I whisper, tapping her finger.

"Hmm?"

"Why is it so hard to believe that someone would want to take you out on a date?"

"No...just when I was younger I guess." She tugs at her earlobe.

"Well, whatever doubts you have now, I guarantee won't be there tomorrow."

She smiles softly, still a distant look in her eyes. "Whatever you say, Cameron." It's a tortured whisper that has me feeling things I don't wanna feel.