Chapter five: Dinner

Riley remained silent for most of dinner. The talk she had with her mother in the bathroom monopolized her thoughts; she began to think that they would confiscate her diapers and throw them into oblivion. She found rule one unfair, why could only her mother and father get their hands on her diaper, despite the fact that she had managed to put on a diaper by herself without anyone's help? "Adults are weird!" she thought.

"You're quiet today," her father began curiously, "did something happen?"

Riley looked up from her empty plate and looked at her mother. With her gaze, she was telling her to tell her father what she had done.

"Yes, something happened," the little girl replied indifferently. "In fact, two things happened."

"Which one do you want to start with?" interjected Helen, feigning curiosity.

"A classmate of mine called me today," Riley began a tad excitedly, "Theo Bennett. We have to finish our pair work for Mrs. Towers, he asked if I could go to his house tomorrow to finish the project and do homework together."

"I don't see why not," Greg drank a glass of wine. Then he turned to his consort, "Did you say yes too?"

Helen smiled at him. "Yes. Her friend lives nearby and His parents are willing to have her as a guest for lunch. So of problems we don't have any, is it okay for you to pick her up in the evening? That way I have time to take care of some chores around the house."

Greg nodded and smiled at his daughter. He commented happily, "I didn't think you had a friend!"

"Yeah," Riley laughed nervously. She didn't really consider Theo a friend; he was more of an acquaintance, almost a stranger. Who knows why her father had already labeled him as her friend?

"What about the other thing?" asked Greg then casually.

Riley's face darkened for a moment; she felt the conversation would take a turn for the worse. She sensed her mother's stern look. Okay Riley, you can do it. It's like an interrogation: beginning, explanation, conclusion.

"Here..." the little girl spoke softly. "Today I... wore a pull-up on the sly."

A contented smile took shape on Helen's face, glad to hear Riley admit her mistake and direct it to her better half.

Greg sighed dejectedly. "So, you're telling us you wore a diaper in our absence?"

"Pull-up, Greg," Helen corrected him.

Greg quickly repeated his question, but corrected.

"Yes, Dad," Riley replied sadly. "That's the first thing I did when I came home. Then Mom came and I told her everything. I'm sorry."

"Did you pee there?" asked her father tensely.

Helen intervened, "From what I understood, yes and no. She had peed some before I came back, then she peed again just before I changed her and cleaned her up. So, she did it twice."

Riley blushed full of embarrassment. Was that a detail to point out?

"Is she wearing another one now?" asked Greg to his wife, forgetting his daughter's presence.

"Big girl's panties," Helen replied. "I have a punishment in mind to give her for transgressing the rule."

"Shall we talk about it now? In front of her?"

"No," Helen replied, remembering that Riley was there with them. "There's something I'd like to point out to both of you."

She paused. As long as she had all eyes on her, Helen continued with her speech, "This is especially about you, Riley. Today while I was changing you, I noticed that you hadn't given yourself a good scrubbing down there. Tell me out of curiosity, did you go to the bathroom once today?"