Chapter Eleven

Oskar was glad to have Dorthee on his arm when he entered the throne room. He did not know what to expect, given the calm manner of the messenger boy who had come to fetch him. Dorthee rubbed her hand over his arm as they walked up the long carpet to the steps that led to the thrones. The king stood while the queen remained seated. Surprisingly, the throne lacked an audience. 

Per protocol, Oskar kneeled with his head low before looking up at his father. Dorthee dipped into a curtsy which brought her to the floor and forced her to release Oskar's arm. 

"From this moment forward, I will address you by your title," the king said with a stoic expression, folding his hands together. "Prince Oskar, you presented first sight evidence regarding the conditions of the town known as Fernsworth. Upon further investigation, I can confirm your findings and the crown intends to resolve the situation..." 

Father glanced at Mother and Oskar's heart pounded in his chest. Whatever the king was about to say would be the deciding factor of his and Dorthee's fate. 

"As for your actions between the time you shared your findings and the time you made the discovery," the king went on, turning his gaze back to Oskar. "You will be held accountable for concealing the true nature of Dorthee's position and status. While her documentation is legal and does give her the status of a duchess, she was granted her position without the crown's knowledge... 

"Duchess Dorthee, we have welcomed you into our home under certain pretenses. The queen has pleaded for mercy on your life." 

Oskar looked at his mother as cool relief washed over him. 

The king sighed, "I have decided to grant you mercy. However, the prince's fate is yet to be decided. We felt it was right to deliver our decision about the duchess in private. Prince Oskar, you will receive your punishment shortly. We must tend to several other matters first." 

The king raised his hand, a motion for Oskar and Dorthee to rise. The queen rose to her feet and descended the stairs. She reached for Oskar's shoulders and looked him in the eyes. 

"I will always love you, my son," Mother said, and Oskar could tell she was holding back her emotions. Did this mean his punishment was severe and life-altering? 

"Please stand to the side," the king said, appearing behind the queen as he placed his hands on her shoulders. "The royal court will gather now." 

The sound of footsteps approaching filled the air. Oskar glanced behind him and saw the courtiers entering the sidelines of the room. Generals of the royal army entered with their wives and peers. The prince sighed and took Dorthee by the arm, guiding her to the right side of the staircase. 

As the pair stood in silence, Oskar watched Lady Christine's father and mother enter through the great doors. The elderly couple held their heads high, a reflection of their status and dignity. Following closely behind was Christine. There was nothing particularly revealing about her condition. However, as Oskar watched her mannerisms, he realized her tell was the way she kept touching her hand to her stomach area and removing it just as quickly. 

"Would it be considered improper to greet Lady Christine?" Dorthee whispered as she leaned up toward Oskar's ear. 

Oskar looked at his parents, watching them greet each courtier as they approached the staircase and paid their respects. 

"I honestly could not say," he whispered back with a sigh. "Under normal circumstances, such greetings are encouraged and considered appropriate. However, because we are both under scrutiny..." 

He trailed off, looking at the shiny floor. Dorthee stepped closer, closing the small gap between them. A gesture of her loyalty.