Chapter 44 - Skeletons

(DISCLAIMER: If you are sensitive to discussion of medical procedures and death, please skip this chapter. Don't worry, this chapter won't affect the flow of the story.)

Arriving at home, you relaxed. You had escaped the doctor's office mainly unscathed. With a sigh, you kicked off your shoes and made your way to your living room, sinking into your armchair with a sigh of relief. The soft glow of the setting sunlight peaked through the window.

Your mind fell on the conversation you had with Harvey and his quick response to move the conversation along. It was unsettling. Was he hiding something? Or was there was a deeper issue he wasn't ready to address? Whatever the reason, it left you feeling uneasy, leaving a subtle tension forming in your body.

Suddenly you heard a knock on the door. You jumped up from your chair to answer it. You knew it would be Harvey. 

"Hey love." He sighed as you opened the door. You could tell that he wasn't feeling himself, his usual bright expression faded and transparent. "Hey...?" You replied, your eyes shifting as he walked towards the kitchen to take off his jacket and loosen his tie, leaving his shirt unbuttoned at the collar. Walking towards the living room, he sat down on the armchair looking somewhat exhausted.

"I don't really want to ask, but I know I should," you began, your voice steady but tinged with a hint of apprehension as you stood above him. You were going to find out no matter what.

"What's that?" Harvey responded, his own voice cautious.

"What was with the jumpy responses at the clinic? Are you hiding something from me?" you inquired, your gaze piercing as you locked eyes with him. You were not one for secrets.

"What? Hiding something?" Harvey's response was quick, almost too quick, and it set off alarm bells in your mind.

"Yes, hiding something," you pressed on, your tone firm. "As soon as I mentioned your notebook, your whole body language changed."

"Evangeline-" Harvey started, but you cut him off, unwilling to accept any excuses.

"I'd rather you tell me the truth," you insisted, your voice tinged with a note of urgency. Harvey's expression shifted, his gaze falling to the floor as he wrestled with his words, unsure of what to say. You could sense through his heavy hesitation that whatever he was hiding must of been significant.

"I really don't want to talk about it." He replied sternly, catching you off guard. It wasn't like him to snap like that, it wasn't in his character. 

"Well now you definitely do have to." You replied doubtfully sitting down opposite, your eyes narrow in frustrated glare. Harvey let out another sigh, an obvious sign of defeat. "What are you hiding in that notebook?" You pressed.

Harvey's shoulders slumped, his gaze fixed on the floor as if searching for the right words to say. You could sense the internal struggle raging within him, making you want to console him desperately despite his attitude. He sighed again, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "It's just... personal things," he admitted, his voice carrying a tone of reluctance.

"Personal things...?" you echoed. "Harvey, we're supposed to be in this together. You can trust me." You reassured, giving him a safe space to be truthful.

"I know, I know," he replied, his tone tinged with remorse. "But some things are just too difficult to share."  You softened at the vulnerability in his voice, the frustration giving way to concern. "Harvey, whatever it is, bottling it up is a bad thing to do, I'm here for you..." you reassured him, reaching out to gently grasp his hand.