1 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ it's all the same

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌘 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

one

'The only worse thing than being blind is having sight but no vision.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌘 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

PAUL

Something. I can smell something, but I can't tell what it is.

Another vision? Of course, it is—why can I never escape these things? It's the same thing almost every night.

Was I half-asleep? It's... raining outside. Good to know. At least everything else in the world is peaceful for now.

Come on, get up, are the only words that repeat in my head as I push myself off the warmth of the bed to rid myself of sleep. Mom might be already up. And an heir's day is never calm.

There's no sun in the room, only a floating cheese wheel of light that illuminates enough for me to see, besides the view of the outside. At least it's not blinding me as I sit up, noticing that once again, I really need to work out. How am I meant to even impress my future wife? Heck, even make a good impression, not that I entirely cared at the minute.

Outside, clouds cover the sky in a snowy, bank-like way, but only the tips of the mountains show land. Lightning crashes as thunder signifies its appearance, and the sun is just starting to come above the horizon.

Strange weather, but it's home.

At the table, I can't even focus on eating. I was getting married for God's sake. Are you kidding me?

"It's good you're up early," Mom says, breaking the silence and my train of thought, but I don't spare a glance at her, not until a second later. "Your father wants you in full dress before the Emperor's Herald arrives."

If I could sigh, I would, but she's my mother, and I couldn't disrespect her.

"Full dress?" I murmur, my voice still ridden with sleep, making it clear that, yet again, I'm not much of a morning person. "Military?"

Please say yes, please say yes, at least the military dressings are good--

"Ceremonial."

No!

I merely sigh, keeping my thoughts to myself as my hand moves to grab another helping of food. "Why do we have to go through this when it's already been decided?"

That, and the wedding in two days.

"Ceremony," Mother repeats, not giving a clear response, though it's clear enough to see that I have no room to argue a point as she pours a glass of water.

"Mm. Thank you."

She drinks from her own glass, saying, "If you want it, make me give it to you."

...are you kidding me--

"Use the Voice."

"Mom, I just woke up." I say with a slight shake of my head, hoping that she won't press into this. It wasn't ready. I can't practice on a sleep-riddled voice, can I?

She merely shifts her shoulders and keeps her hand flat on the table. I really need that water; my throat is drying up just looking at it.

"Give me the water," I murmur, but it's nothing more than a gentle request.

"The glass can't hear you. Command me." Mother replies. 

Okay, now this is getting frustrating. Looking up at her slowly, I stare her down. I'm not afraid of this. The wind chimes tinkle a little as if something shifts in the air.

"Give me the water," I say, but—did my voice just speak after I did? Great.

A thousand whispers, but one voice, rippling through the air as they fold in on themselves. Distorted and intimidating. Almost gremlin-like. It doesn't sound like me—more like something that's not me. Without thinking, she picks up the glass and... doesn't hand it to me. She just sets it down closer.

"Almost," she notes, gaining her impulses back before nudging the glass better into reach.

"Almost?" I echo, reaching out to grab the glass.

"Bene Gesserit skills take years to learn, Paul."

"Mm-hmm," I mindlessly hum, grateful to finally get rid of this scratchy throat as I raise the glass to my lips.

"You look tired," Mother notes once more as her head tilts. "More dreams?"

The memory of it almost comes back in full swing, but all I can vaguely picture is the sun behind her head as she gazes out into the world. Her eyes are... maybe, a crystal blue?

"No." I simply utter without looking up at her, not wanting to talk about it right now. Or at all.

Once breakfast is over, I head back to my room. If we were going to accept this alliance and practically take over Arrakis, then I would have to learn more about the planet itself. 

A projector remains by my side as I flip through another page in the history of the Fremen people on Arrakis while the projector narrates the different recordings. They were quite interesting.

"Extreme temperatures and treacherous weather events make life outside the cities of Arrakis truly hostile, with sandstorms powerful enough to cut through metal."

The hologram of the sandy planet floats a few feet from me, with its moon on the left and some ancient dialect.

"Only the native tribes known as the Fremen have adapted well enough to survive."

The only outfit known to be such an adaptive specimen is the stillsuit, and my gaze scans the depiction from head to toe, spotting different explanations of what each part is used for. I could almost see it. Warriors crouched down amongst the sand, one on a rock, as they scanned the land.

"Preferring to inhabit the remotest regions of Arrakis, the Fremen share the deep desert with the giant sandworms, known to the Fremen as Shai-Hulud. Long exposure to spice has given the tribe their characteristic blue eyes, the Eyes of Ibad."

Didn't that woman have blue eyes...? No, this one was different... new. Dark hair, almost curly. Tan skin that was almost sun-kissed. But the eyes were the same...

"Little else is known of the Fremen, except that they are dangerous and unreliable." I flip through the previous page, only to find the same image as before once I return to it. "Fremen attacks make spice harvesting extremely hazardous. For the Fremen, spice is the sacred hallucinogen which brings life and enormous health benefits."

"For the Imperium, spice is used by the navigators of the Spacing Guild to find safe paths between the stars. Without spice, interstellar travel is impossible, making it by far the most valuable substance in the universe."

⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

First chapterrrr! Ah, I'm so excited for you guys to see the rest of it!

Already kicking it off with a perspective from Paul! I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible, and I hope I'm doing okay so far!

Just a warning, your perspective won't come in until a little later--we've still got some things to figure out with Paul before we can understand your perspective, but I'd say Chapter 3 is where you'll start!!

Updates might be a little confusing, but I'll try to be consistent this time!