CHAPTER 1

Marianna’s POV

The incessant ringing of my phone jerks me out of my dreamland.

Then it is followed by a loud pounding sound on my front door which forces my eyes open in full curiosity.

Who the hell is that?

Damien is out. I didn't meet him when I came back home around 8 am from my shift and I guessed he must have gone to school.

I'm sure he isn't the one. Damien would never bang the door this way.

Sleep deprived, I grab the blanket as I step down from the bed, forcing my eyelid open as the pounding continues. For a second, I am scared the door will be damaged from the sound.

Quickly, I rush towards the door and throw it open to meet the green dangerous eyes of Sebastian, D'angelo's right-hand man. D'angelo is the Mafia Don whom my father owes a debt to.

My pulse spiked. My breathing hitch and fear runs through me.

There are two other men behind Sebastain. Before I can say a word, they grab me and push me forward towards a black van. My heart races and I can’t even scream.

No one will save me. Not when Sebastian is well-known in the neighborhood as D'angelo's dog. I can’t run either, that will mean more trouble for me and my brother. Besides, these men are way stronger than I am.

Finally, they fling me into the van, making me scramble to sit as they all rush in before closing the door. There is a man at the wheels who ignites the car engine into action as soon as Sebastian is in too.

The sleep is gone. My head is spinning with questions of why D'angelo is doing this after our agreement.

Is this about Damien again?

No! I shake my head inwardly. He can't take Damien under his wings. I won't allow that. I will do everything I can to prevent that from happening.

Holding my petite body to myself, I sit with my head bent in fear. Then I close my eyes to whisper words of prayer as the car drives off at a high speed.

Few minutes later, the halting of the car makes me jerk back to life, my eyes flickering open immediately to see we are in the territory of D'angelo. I should have figured that out already.

I was here only once. When we made an agreement on how to pay back my father's debt. He wanted Damien to pay back by taking him under his wings but I didn't allow that. I would never allow my brother to become a dog to that heartless murderer.

They push me out of the van, making me hit my butts on the floor and groaning in pain. As if in a haste to get done with me, one of the men picks me up, carrying me over his shoulder as he takes long strides into the mansion.

With my body swinging over him, I watch where we are going until I see D'angelo in the large sitting room with his legs crossed and a cigarette in his hand. Two hefty men dressed in black suits are right behind him.

The man carrying me drops me immediately and D'angelo waves the men behind him away. Just then, Sebastian comes in too, leaving us three inside. With a mixture of dread and panic, my head remains bent but I can feel the perspiration on my forehead.

The silence is making me more tense.

“Why didn't you pick your phone?” D'angelo’s loud voice pulls me out of my reverie.

I look up but avoid his gaze, holding firmly onto the hem of my night dress. “So…sorry, I…I…never knew it was you.”

I would never ignore his calls. I know what it means to do that.